All the eight presidential candidates bidding for the presidency are expected to close their campaigns according to a gazette notice issued by Independent Boundaries and Electoral Commission Chairperson Wafula Chebukati on September 29.
Speaking to the press after meeting Chebukati, Odinga said the recent resignation of Commissioner Roselyn Akombe was a confirmation of the alliance's fears that the poll agency was not ready to conduct credible elections.
The ruling, unprecedented in Africa, has plunged the country into its worst political crisis since post-election violence in 2007 and 2008 left 1,100 people dead.
He has called for mass protests on election day, and wrote on Twitter that his supporters would picket outside IEBC offices on Tuesday and Wednesday, demonstrations banned by the government.
The Nasa leader confessed he was in constant communication with Akombe and that he called her when she was pulled out of a US-bound plane and temporarily detained at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) moments after the August 8th election.
"We only insist that the election be held on October 26, that's the time line set by the IEBC in terms of conditions set in the annulment of the August 8 elections", Uhuru added Monday.
Kenyan officials are asking for restraint ahead of an election Thursday that the main opposition group led by Raila Odinga says it will boycott.
But traders said foreigners were pulling their funds out ahead of the repeat poll while some clients were buying their dollar requirements in advance, piling pressure on the shilling.
"Attacks on IEBC staff must cease now".
"But no one should use violence or intimidation to disrupt the right of others to vote or to participate".
"Inflammatory rhetoric, attacks on institutions, and growing insecurity all make holding a credible and fair poll more hard... it is risky, and it must stop".
With just days to go before the scheduled vote the IEBC has suffered a series of upheavals.
Last week, a senior member of the electoral commission (IEBC) fled to the United States amid death threats. Chebukati afterwards warned he could not guarantee a free and fair poll, while the body's controversial chief executive, Ezra Chiloba, suddenly went on three weeks' leave.
- Mueller investigating Tony Podesta and Podesta Group
- Mann's Packing recalling certain vegetable products due to Listeria concerns — RECALL ALERT
- Renewed Plenary Session Of Catalan Parliament Set For Thursday
- Netflix releases new poster for Stranger Things season 2
- 'Upset and Hurt': Fallen Soldier's Widow on Trump's Condolence Call
- Former Marilyn Manson Guitarist Daisy Berkowitz Has Died
- Bradenton gas prices closing in on pre-Hurricane Harvey levels
- Velcom starts selling Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A
- Neogaf down after owner accused of sexual harassment
- Steelers receiver Martavis Bryant wants trade