Arsenal sign Alexandre Lacazette from Lyon for a club record fee of £52.7 million in the summer, but Bosnia defender, Sead Kolasinac, was their only other first-team recruit having joined from Schalke on a free transfer.
Robert Pires has been speaking to German magazine SportBild and when the conversation came around to Arsenal it was inevitable that Mesut Ozil would be brought up.
Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez entered the final year of their contracts as both players are yet to sign a new deal with the rumor that Jose Mourinho wants a reunion with Germany global at Old Trafford. "I'm staying at the club definitely, which makes it a little bit different, but we want to be successful here and everyone is committed to that". "That's not enough to compete for the top spots".
Arsenal, who are nine points behind leaders Manchester City in the Premier League, return to Europa League action on Thursday night when they take on Red Star Belgrade.
"It's incredibly hard to consistently remain at the top in England", he added.
Asked if Sanchez and Ozil are giving their all for manager Arsene Wenger, the German said: 'Yes.
"I think it is right that he has extended for two years".
Per Mertesacker insists all Arsenal players are committed to the cause as Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez's futures remain uncertain at the Emirates.
The Daily Mirror is reporting that the Gunners have now given up hope of the 29-year-old playmaker signing a new contract with the north London club.
- Doug Jones, Roy Moore are tied
- MS elementary school changing its name from 'Jefferson Davis' to 'Barack Obama'
- Gold Star father: Trump's words misconstrued
- Andrew Luck (shoulder) suffers setback, won't practice for Colts this week
- Real Reason Kevin Can Wait Killed Off Kevin James' Wife
- Jupp Heynckes warns Bayern Munich over Celtic threat ahead of UCL clash
- Michael Owen states his prediction for Benfica v Man United
- Washington gets REAL ID extension through October 2018
- Socialite Ksenia Sobchak runs for Russian President
- EnLink Midstream, LLC (NYSE:ENLC) Pressured Under Trend Lines