The fallen American soldier who wore the name of his wife and mother of his two children, Myeshia Johnson, tattooed across his chest under his U.S. Army uniform, was saluted with a ceremonial homecoming at Miami International Airport.
Wilson was incredulous, saying: "It's so insensitive".
"I will, at some point, during the period of time, call the parents and the families, because I have done that, traditionally", Trump said during a press conference last week. He never said the word hero.
Lemon asked Wilson what her personal reaction was to Trump's call.
"I'm livid. He can't even have an open-coffin funeral because his body is so messed up, " Wilson told the Miami Herald.
Almost two weeks after Johnson was killed during in an ambush alongside three Green Berets, Trump called his pregnant wife Myeshia Johnson around Tuesday 4.45 p.m.
"She has just lost her husband, she was just told that he can not have an open casket funeral which gives her all kinds of nightmares about what his body must look, what his face must look, and this is what the president of the United States says to her", Wilson told CNN.
Trump's phone call comes as the president has pulled bereaved military families into a painful political fight of his own making. Trump asked on Fox News Tuesday morning.
Trump returned to the subject Tuesday, using the death of Chief of Staff John Kelly's son in 2010 to illustrate Obama's record on calling bereaved families, saying his predecessor did not call in that instance. "They'd write letters. And some presidents didn't do anything", Trump said.
Four Green Berets were killed in an ambush in Niger earlier this month, and two others were wounded.
The U.S. Department of Defense is investigating the attack in Niger.
- Trump to visit Asia-Pacific countries in November
- Trump hails Greece's economic revival at White House meeting
- Spurs fan torches gear after Gregg Popovich's remarks on Trump
- Earnings Approximations to Watch: Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO), HP Inc. (HPQ)
- B moves up in QS Asia rankings
- US Senators Reach Bipartisan Deal On Obamacare
- Warriors' Andre Iguodala out for season opener vs. Rockets
- New CNU Wasson Center poll shows Governor's race tightening
- Jefferies Downgrades Rating On Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY)
- LeBron James (ankle) remains questionable for season-opener