McCain warned during an acceptance speech for the Liberty Medal that choosing to "refuse the obligations of global leadership ... for the sake of some half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems" is unpatriotic. John McCain's pointed Monday night speech, suggesting that the senator should "be careful" because Trump will "fight back".
"We live in a land made of ideals, not blood and soil", he said.
Trump sent out his warning after he was asked by Plante about McCain "taking shots" at him again. Trump has blamed McCain for the failed efforts to "repeal and replace" the Affordable Care Act and once said he does not consider the former Navy pilot a war hero because he was captured.
"People have to be careful because at some point I fight back", Trump told Plante. I'm being very, very nice.
"Hopefully they will work it out", Graham told CNN.
McCain, who received the center's Liberty Medal for his lifetime of achievements, said the United States has a moral obligation to continue global leadership - and "we would bring more than shame on ourselves if we don't". "I have faced tougher adversaries", he said of Trump.
McCain added that he was referring to those who advocated the theme of "America First".
"There's an environment here of non-productivity, of a reversion to the attitude of the '30s, which was one of the major reasons why we fought World War II", McCain said.
"We have a moral obligation to continue in our just cause, and we would bring more than shame on ourselves if we don't", McCain continued.
The speech expanded on the call McCain has been making since he was diagnosed with a life-threatening brain cancer this summer, a call for more cooperation in Washington.
While not mentioning President Trump by name, McCain's speech was a sharp contrast to Trump's habits of shunning worldwide institutions such as North Atlantic Treaty Organisation and the United Nations.
"John, you have broken many times, physically and otherwise, and you have always grown stronger, but what you don't really understand in my humble opinion is how much courage you give the rest of us looking at you", Biden said.
The chairman of the center's Board of Trustees, former Vice President Joe Biden, presented the medal to McCain.
- Technology titans earn low marks for environmental impact in Greenpeace report
- Erdogan expects United States visa spat to be resolved soon
- Facebook's secret hardware lab is losing its chief visionary
- Anthem will turn to CVS after troubled Express Scripts deal
- Sessions: I Don't Know If Preemptive Trump Pardons Would Be Appropriate
- Billy Joel and Wife Alexis Roderick Are Expecting Baby No. 2
- Why Did Kim Zolciak-Biermann Wear White to Rapper Gucci Mane's Wedding?
- Trump And Bannon Just Finally Exposed It!
- Berks part of USA crackdown on underage sex trafficking
- Demi Lovato opens up in new documentary