McCain warned during an acceptance speech for the Liberty Medal that choosing to "refuse the obligations of global leadership ... for the sake of some half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems" is unpatriotic. John McCain's pointed Monday night speech, suggesting that the senator should "be careful" because Trump will "fight back".
"We live in a land made of ideals, not blood and soil", he said.
Trump sent out his warning after he was asked by Plante about McCain "taking shots" at him again. Trump has blamed McCain for the failed efforts to "repeal and replace" the Affordable Care Act and once said he does not consider the former Navy pilot a war hero because he was captured.
"People have to be careful because at some point I fight back", Trump told Plante. I'm being very, very nice.
"Hopefully they will work it out", Graham told CNN.
McCain, who received the center's Liberty Medal for his lifetime of achievements, said the United States has a moral obligation to continue global leadership - and "we would bring more than shame on ourselves if we don't". "I have faced tougher adversaries", he said of Trump.
McCain added that he was referring to those who advocated the theme of "America First".
"There's an environment here of non-productivity, of a reversion to the attitude of the '30s, which was one of the major reasons why we fought World War II", McCain said.
"We have a moral obligation to continue in our just cause, and we would bring more than shame on ourselves if we don't", McCain continued.
The speech expanded on the call McCain has been making since he was diagnosed with a life-threatening brain cancer this summer, a call for more cooperation in Washington.
While not mentioning President Trump by name, McCain's speech was a sharp contrast to Trump's habits of shunning worldwide institutions such as North Atlantic Treaty Organisation and the United Nations.
"John, you have broken many times, physically and otherwise, and you have always grown stronger, but what you don't really understand in my humble opinion is how much courage you give the rest of us looking at you", Biden said.
The chairman of the center's Board of Trustees, former Vice President Joe Biden, presented the medal to McCain.
- David Letterman Is Tired of Conan Complaining About His Literal Gift Horse
- Demi Lovato opens up in new documentary
- BTS:Dangal star Sanya Malhotra choreographs Aamir in Secret Superstar's 'Sexy Baliye'
- Technology titans earn low marks for environmental impact in Greenpeace report
- Why Did Kim Zolciak-Biermann Wear White to Rapper Gucci Mane's Wedding?
- Chicago Bulls suspend Bobby Portis for eight games after punch
- Tillerson chides China while calling for greater ties with India
- Why the Rams are a live underdog against the Jaguars
- HP targets creative pros with powerful 2-in-1 mobile workstation
- Anthem will turn to CVS after troubled Express Scripts deal