There was a little bit of rain in the past couple of days before the second ODI at the Boland Park. Visitors Bangladesh will be looking to bounce back in this match and thus save the series. However, Rubel Hossain put an end to the fiery innings, and to his fellow bowlers' suffering as well. The wicketkeeper-batsman had made 46. Shakib al Hasan doubled the damage in space of two deliveries as he produced a sharp turner to go past the attempted prod of skipper Faf du Plessis, and pegged the stumps back. His blitz saw South Africa race past the 150-run mark.
JP Duminy came out in the middle with de Villiers 14 runs away from his hundred.
De Villiers' last global was at the Champions Trophy in England in June. He was on 2 then. He shook those off and hit 15 fours, including six through the covers. Amla, with a steer down to third man, raised his 34th ODI fifty in the 23rd over. In the next over, de Villiers edged Shakib's arm ball just past Nasir Hossain's left hand at slip. Four overs and four fours later, de Villiers brought up his 54th fifty in ODIs. Amla then fell in the 36th over when Rubel had him caught behind for 85 off 92 balls.
Hell broke loose as de Villiers switched to top gear, if at all it was something he wasn't batting on earlier.
De Villiers hit his career-best score in 50-over cricket in his first worldwide innings in four months, and was part of century stands with Hashim Amla (85) and JP Duminy (30).
In this process, Amla, the South Africa's run-machine also broke India captain Virat Kohli's record of being the fastest to reach 26 centuries.
South Africa were headed for a 370-plus total but for De Villiers's dismissal and a two-wicket burst from Rubel in the last over, giving the paceman figures of four for 62 off 10 overs.
- Terror Threat Worst in his Career — UK Intelligence Head
- Mother admits drowning 2 young boys in DE apartment, police say
- Cheerleaders under fire after 'racist' chanting video emerges
- Spain court strikes down Catalan referendum law
- Pizza Hut delays notifying customers' of data breach
- Snap, NBCUniversal Partner On New Digital Video Venture
- Chesapeake Energy Corporation (CHK) Stake Increased by West Oak Capital, LLC
- Kevin De Bruyne patient on Manchester City contract talks
- Senior Kenyan electoral official resigns ahead of poll
- Seven policemen killed in Pakistan blast