Today it underwent a major change of a somewhat different kind, as it announced that it has been acquired by IGN.
According to a press release for the deal, Humble will continue to operate independently with IGN promising some degree of support in regards to Humble's growth.
Humble Bundle started in 2010, its first bundle (the Humble Indie Bundle) comprising World of Goo, Gish, Aquaria, and several other notable indie games, for which users could pay anything from a nickel to well over retail price. Instead, Humble explained that "we will continue to bring you all of our humble products, but with more resources and help from IGN". Initially founded as a quaint operation that offered bundles of games that consumers could pay whatever they wanted for, the company has grown to include book sales, software, and even games developed in-house at Humble Bundle. "We don't want to disrupt anything we're doing right already", IGN executive VP Mitch Galbraith told Gamasutra.
Whether or not Humble Bundle will expand its services or introduce new ones, and how or if IGN will integrate the company into its website is unknown at this point.
"We chose IGN because they really understand our vision, share our passion for games, and believe in our mission to promote awesome digital content while helping charity", Humble Bundle co-founder Jeffrey Rosen said in the announcement. "Because of the shared vision and overlap of our customer bases, there's going to be a lot of opportunities". It's unclear how owning a video game publisher will affect IGN's video game coverage, but it could raise some conflict-of-interests until Humble and IGN clearly outline how the two entities will maneuver around this situation. What will happen to Humble Bundle remains to be seen but there's usually always changes when there's an acquisition.
- Osinbajo Confess to Approving N640 billion JV Financing Contracts For NNPC
- Quentin Tarantino 'Stunned And Heartbroken' By Accusations Against Longtime Collaborator Harvey Weinstein
- North Korea Is Threatening to Launch Missiles at Guam Again
- Skowhegan Candlelight Vigil Honors Lives Lost to Domestic Violence
- Chester Bennington's carpool karaoke released by Linkin Park
- Sirius XM Holdings Inc. (SIRI) - How much Institutional Stake
- Express Scripts Holding Company (NASDAQ:ESRX) Underpriced by 1.2%
- Top RSI Trades for Today: Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX)
- Messi lands in Barcelona after heroics for Argentina
- Bitcoin reaches an all-time high of $5000