It is not an ordinary case.
News agency ANI quoted the SC bench as saying that national importance can not be secondary and at the same time, the human rights of the Rohingyas should be kept in mind.
The UN's human rights chief has criticised India's decision as lacking "basic human compassion".
Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the court that "this is an issue involving global ramifications".
A Rohingya petitioner had on September 23 told the top court that they were not illegal immigrants but refugees who fled Myanmar and came to India for shelter in wake of their persecution on the grounds of their religion and community identity and were entitled to all protection under the worldwide conventions on refugees and treaties.
Another Rohingya refugee then filed an affidavit in the Supreme Court denying the Indian government's claims that the Muslim community from Myanmar has terror links with Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and the Islamic State.
The court said the government should not deport the refugees, but did not pass a formal order putting any restrictions. "A balance must be maintained between national interest and humanitarian duties", the court observed. Deferring the matter to November 21, the Supreme Court, however, allowed the Rohingya petitioners to approach it in case of any contingency.
Close to 40,000 Rohingya Muslims live in India after fleeing Myanmar over the past decade. The court said our constitutional ethos makes us lean sympathetically towards humanitarian issues. The persecution has forced tens of thousands to flee to neighbouring Bangladesh, from where many come to India.
Rohingya Muslims are a minority in Myanmar's Rakhine where government forces have allegedly carried out summary executions, serial rapes and burned down entire villages.
- New Mutants Director Announces Teaser Trailer
- Rafael Nadal marches into Shanghai Masters quarters
- Tom Brady to Patriots Fans: 'Don't Worry'
- Experiencing 'Vegas Strong' At The Inaugural Golden Knights Game
- Devils burn the Leafs 6-3 in Toronto
- Microsoft Edge Preview for Android Hits Google Play
- Glu Mobile Inc (GLUU) Stock Closed at $3.59
- Local scouting community reacts to Boy Scouts changes
- BMW, Great Wall Motor Eye Possible Electric Vehicle Joint Venture In China
- Natural disaster recorded near North Korea's nuclear test site