His response on Thursday to a reporter from his verified account was captured by a screen grab. In the three games since, the Titans collectively stayed in the locker room once, and Matthews stayed in the locker room until after the national anthem twice.
Matthews was not available on Thursday after practice before the locker room was closed to reporters.
He responded with a tweet: "No I will be done playing football". It was a stance started by Colin Kaepernick, but the protests became a national debate and an NFL wide phenomenon when president Donald Trump called protesting players sons of bitches. This was the first Sunday after Trump made his comments.
"Worried about how fans will react, and how that will impact ticket sales, the league is reportedly looking at the possibility of a new rule requiring players to appear and stand for the anthem".
The Titans remained in the locker room during the anthem before their Week 3 game against the Seattle Seahawks. He has begun following the path of college teammate Colin Kaepernick, who led the charge of National Football League players protesting racial injustice and police brutality in this manner. "I fully stand with my brother Kap, and I plan to continue to do that". "If you see wrong and don't say anything, that's wrong". It should be worth noting that the players are peacefully protesting, though, and they aren't protesting the national anthem itself. It's your right to stand or sit down. This is the kind of thing you would expect to find in totalitarian nations, but not in a free state.
- GM to close Detroit passenger auto factory for 6 weeks
- Glu Mobile Inc (GLUU) Stock Closed at $3.59
- Bioware Director Mike Laidlaw Leaves Company After 14 Years
- Pakistan 'frees' Taliban hostage family
- Nubia Z17S, Nubia Z17 miniS With Four Cameras Launched: Price, Specifications
- White SC restaurant manager accused of torturing, 'enslaving' mentally challenged black man
- Danny Ainge Thinks Isaiah Thomas 'Doesn't Know How Much I Love' Him
- New Mutants Director Announces Teaser Trailer
- Robert Pattinson split from FKA Twigs?
- Main force of Turkish troops enter Syria's Idlib