"Transport is one of the main greenhouse gas producers.so we are planning an exit from combustion engine vehicles, or fossil-energy vehicles".
An electric auto is being charged in a Paris street, France, Sept 12, 2017.
Paris wants to get gasoline-powered cars off the city's roads by 2030, the latest bet by officials that electric vehicles are the cars of the future.
The authority's "Plan Climat Énergie Territorial de Paris", published today (12 October) does outline an ambition to move away from diesel cars in the city by 2024, and petrol by 2030.
The move is, in part, a pollution-reducing effort. In order to achieve the goal of an end to the thermal engines in 2030, the City has chose to invest in the development of alternatives and in the reinforcement of financial aids that allow individuals and professionals to buy clean vehicles.
Paris has faced rising air pollution in the last few years.
Plans to phase out internal combustion vehicles by foreign cities and countries have recently prompted calls for similar action in the U.S.; California governor Jerry Brown has called for the state to phase out sales of gas- and diesel-engined cars before the 2040 targets announced by France and the United Kingdom, citing China's commitment to bring about the same ban far sooner.
"This is about planning for the long term with a strategy that will reduce greenhouse gases", said Christophe Najdovski, who is responsible for transport policy at the office of Mayor Anne Hidalgo.
However, the city has countered speculation of a ban on either petrol or diesel, stating: "No measure of prohibition or sanction is included in the new Plan Climat Énergie Territorial de Paris". City officials are often forced to issue temporary bans on gas- and diesel-powered cars in response to particularly bad surges. The deadline for those cars is 2024, which is when the city will play host to the Olympic games. There are about 32 million household cars in France, according to the London Evening Standard.
- Russian Federation reportedly used Pokémon Go in an effort to inflame racial tensions
- Ezekiel Elliott's 6-Game NFL Suspension Reinstated by Court
- Carragher names his XI of the Premier League season so far
- Bengals TE Eifert considering season-ending surgery
- Epic Sues Two Fortnite Cheaters
- Google Express partners with Target, Assistant shopping coming to phones
- Davido Reinvited By Police For Lying About Tagbo's Death
- North Korea reportedly hack US-South Korean wartime 'decapitation strike' plans
- Bernie Sanders to speak at Women's Convention at Cobo
- Houston Astros vs. New York Yankees ALCS Game 1