A genuine Test match world championship and an ODI league will be introduced to global cricket after both were given in-principle agreement by the ICC Board on the final day of the governing body's meeting in Auckland.
South Africa and Zimbabwe have been approved to play a four-day test this summer, although there isn't yet widespread approval for the concept from all cricketing nations.
Ireland and Afghanistan were granted full Test membership rights after years of lobbying in the Annual General Meeting of the ICC in London earlier this June.
While there is no official confirmation, ICC had said in a release that Pakistan will play a "red ball" match against Ireland in April ahead of their two-Test tour of England in 2018.
"It's going to be a bit special and it's always great to be a part of history". "Bringing context to bilateral cricket is not a new challenge, but this is the first time a genuine solution has been agreed on". One is also reminded of the monumental defeat of Pakistan at the hands of Ireland at the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies, a point often called the turning point for Ireland Cricket.
"Test cricket is the pinnacle of our sport and I know how much this game will mean to not only the players but all involved with Irish cricket". "It'll be another step on what has been an incredible journey for our sport in a relatively short passage of time".
The ODI league, that's set to be put in place in 2020, will have 13 teams - the 12 Full Members and the victor of the ICC World Cricket League Championship.
"If the ICC for example is coming up with a new league structure for Test cricket then how does playing four-day Tests fit into that and what are the advantages and disadvantages of four days, as opposed to five days, in that structure", he added.
The Leinster Union has 41 affiliated clubs in Dublin and nearby counties, while the Munster Union has 13. Spokesperson for Cricket Ireland declined to confirm whether the Test has been locked in.
- Yellowstone's supervolcano may erupt sooner than expected
- Royal Mail Secures Court Injunction Over Strike Action
- United Kingdom to provide £557m funding for new renewable energy projects
- Shiv Sena leader Pappu Mane's auto mows down 2 girls in Maharashtra
- John Flint named as HSBC's new chief executive, succeeding Stuart Gulliver
- Germany U-17 Coach Christian Wuck: " Iran Is mentally, physically strong"
- Delhi: AAP hits streets, launches Metro Kiraya Satyagraha against fare hike
- Alphabet Inc (GOOGL) Analysts See $8.43 EPS
- Amazon Exec Suspended Amid Sexual Harassment Claim
- USA climber kills himself after avalanche kills girlfriend