"Nobody should politicise the cracker ban order", the court said.
The judges also expressed sadness to the fact that a communal twist had been given to its order banning the sale of fireworks in Delhi and adjoining cities.
On October 9, the Supreme Court banned the sale of the firecrackers till November 1 in a bid to reduce the pollution level.
"We are pained to hear that some people are trying to give a communal colour to our order. It is sad", the top court said while hearing the petition of traders to modify the order today.
"After ban on firecrackers" firecrackers in Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR) in the run-up of Diwali, the traders are the ones who are facing its brunt the most. There are children who wait for Diwali celebrations", senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for the traders, submitted.Interestingly, the October 9 order only suspended sale and did not impose any restriction on the bursting of crackers."Who said we have banned the bursting of crackers. People burst firecrackers to celebrate the festival.
"Action will be taken against those who try to sell and purchase firecrackers online", Delhi Police PRO was quoted as saying by ANI on ban on firecrackers' sale in Delhi-NCR.
The traders told the top court that a huge amount of money has been invested by them after their licences were revived and the ban order would cause huge loss to them.
A bench headed by justice A.K. Sikri said that the ban would not be lifted but, as interim relief, allowed the licences of traders to be extended for the time period lost under the ban.
However, the court had said that the September 12 order lifting the ban on the sale and stocking of firecrackers in Delhi NCR will be back into effect from November 1.
- Microsoft Edge Preview for Android Hits Google Play
- Court dismisses Zuma corruption charges appeal
- Local scouting community reacts to Boy Scouts changes
- China's trade growth picks up pace, suggesting robust economy
- Roger Goodell's Wife Uses Secret Twitter Account to Defend Her Husband
- Trader's Watch List: Wells Fargo & Company
- Nubia Z17S, Nubia Z17 miniS With Four Cameras Launched: Price, Specifications
- GM to close Detroit passenger auto factory for 6 weeks
- Pakistan Court Delays Ex-PM Sharif's Indictment After Clash
- Bioware Director Mike Laidlaw Leaves Company After 14 Years