Iran stunned Germany 4-0 at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Fatorda, to qualify for the knockout round of the U-17 World Cup on Tuesday.
Hot favourites Spain would look to bounce back from their opening match defeat to Brazil and bag a win when they cross swords with African debutants Niger in a group D. Spain were beaten 1-2 by the South American champions fellow favourites Brazil in their first outing. Younes Delfi opened the scoring for Iran on six minutes before striking the crossbar with an audacious free-kick effort on 15 minutes.
Had goalkeeper Luca Plogmann not made several important saves, Iran may have been out of sight before half-time at Goa.
"We respected the German team and we did not underestimate them", said Chamanian.
Iran's young players delivered a superb performance that will be remembered for long. The Christian Wueck-coached side needs a win to secure an automatic spot in the Round of 16 as one of the two group toppers. Brazil has tamed Spain but face Niger that has surprised many with a shock debut win.
Germany, who have qualified for the Federation Internationale de Football Association U-17 World Cup as fifth-place finisher from Europe via a play-off, began their campaign with an unconvincing 2-1 win over Costa Rica before slumping to an embarrassing 0-4 defeat to Iran. Iran play their last match against Costa Rica on 13 October in Margao while Germany travel to Kochi to play against Guinea.
Costa Rica will need to not just pull their socks but their shirts and sleeves up if they want to keep themselves within breathing distance of qualification because the Germans are not the type to throw in the towel easily.
Brazil have been in fine form, winning both their encounters against Spain and North Korea to top the group.
- Samsung predicts another record-high quarterly profit
- Ethics panel: 'Substantial reason to believe' Collins broke federal law
- Gunman opens fire in market in Trelleborg, Sweden
- Voter registration ends Friday
- AT&T Estimates 300K DirecTV Now Adds for Q3
- John Calipari tries to skip question about FBI investigations, reporter demands answer
- Houston Astros vs. New York Yankees ALCS Game 1
- Amazon Exec Suspended Amid Sexual Harassment Claim
- Epic Sues Two Fortnite Cheaters
- Yellowstone's supervolcano may erupt sooner than expected