The detained GJM person has admitted that Bimal Gurung was holed up at the camp near the Sikkim-West Bengal border for over a month, police said.
The police have also recovered 500 rounds of bullets, 6 AK47 assault rifles and one countrymade pistol from the spot that was raided. Peace and stability had just started to restore in the region when on Friday morning the police, after getting the information from its sources that Bimal was hiding away in the forest area near Patlebas, raided the area and violence broke out. They had to face a horde of Gurung's supporters, who fired at the police and managed to kill Sub Inspector Amitabh Mullick along with injuring two other officials.
By now, it is clear that Gurung has lost popular support in Darjeeling, said Anuj Sharma, additional director general of police (law and order).
"He has procured arms from them".
"We have specific information that Bimal Gurung (GJM President) had instructed his cadres to attack police personnel", Sharma added.
Few days back Gurung had told his supporters that he will appear before them on October 30.
Sharma said a cornered Gurung was trying to foment trouble in the hills again.
"We will not allow this to happen at any cost, even if we have to make sacrifices", he said.
"We don't want the Darjeeling hills to become another Kashmir", he told reporters in Kolkata.
State tourism minister Gautam Deb said the state government was determined to establish peace in the Darjeeling hills.
Bimal Gurung, the leader of GJM, is wanted by the Bengal government over deadly clashes.
Gurung, the GJM leader, has been in hiding since August after cases under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act were registered against him for his alleged involvement in various bomb blasts in Darjeeling and adjoining areas, reported PTI. GJM is an ally of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA).
- Samsung Galaxy S9 May Feature Front Camera With 3D Sensor
- GM threatens wind down of striking SUV plant
- Mobile puts a cap on high-speed data roaming in Canada, Mexico
- Analyst Hints Surrounding United Parcel Service, Inc. (UPS) And SAP SE (SAP)
- Tim Hortons' Released A Buffalo-Wing Latte And It's Super Questionable
- Facebook supports full disclosure on Russia-backed ads: Sheryl Sandberg
- Download and Try Out the Pixel 2's Custom Launcher and Camera App
- Flight 666 to HEL makes its final Friday 13th trip
- Kiwi Hartley on cusp of debut in F1
- Town Centre Securities Plc (TOWN) Rating Reiterated by Liberum Capital