The detained GJM person has admitted that Bimal Gurung was holed up at the camp near the Sikkim-West Bengal border for over a month, police said.
The police have also recovered 500 rounds of bullets, 6 AK47 assault rifles and one countrymade pistol from the spot that was raided. Peace and stability had just started to restore in the region when on Friday morning the police, after getting the information from its sources that Bimal was hiding away in the forest area near Patlebas, raided the area and violence broke out. They had to face a horde of Gurung's supporters, who fired at the police and managed to kill Sub Inspector Amitabh Mullick along with injuring two other officials.
By now, it is clear that Gurung has lost popular support in Darjeeling, said Anuj Sharma, additional director general of police (law and order).
"He has procured arms from them".
"We have specific information that Bimal Gurung (GJM President) had instructed his cadres to attack police personnel", Sharma added.
Few days back Gurung had told his supporters that he will appear before them on October 30.
Sharma said a cornered Gurung was trying to foment trouble in the hills again.
"We will not allow this to happen at any cost, even if we have to make sacrifices", he said.
"We don't want the Darjeeling hills to become another Kashmir", he told reporters in Kolkata.
State tourism minister Gautam Deb said the state government was determined to establish peace in the Darjeeling hills.
Bimal Gurung, the leader of GJM, is wanted by the Bengal government over deadly clashes.
Gurung, the GJM leader, has been in hiding since August after cases under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act were registered against him for his alleged involvement in various bomb blasts in Darjeeling and adjoining areas, reported PTI. GJM is an ally of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA).
- GM threatens wind down of striking SUV plant
- Town Centre Securities Plc (TOWN) Rating Reiterated by Liberum Capital
- Kiwi Hartley on cusp of debut in F1
- James Franklin seemingly shoots down Texas A&M rumors via subtweet
- NCAA: No Academic Violations at UNC
- Latest Analysts Reports: UDR, Inc. (UDR), Ford Motor Company (F)
- Samsung Galaxy S9 May Feature Front Camera With 3D Sensor
- Download and Try Out the Pixel 2's Custom Launcher and Camera App
- Blackhawk Network Holdings, Inc. (HAWK) Cut to Market Perform at UBS AG
- France and Qatar get to final of UNESCO chief vote