On Wednesday, Lee Jenkins of Sports Illustrated passed along comments from Thomas, who noted he otherwise has no problem with the Celtics organization. Later in the day, reporters speaking to Ainge informed him that, while Thomas has "love" for Boston and his former teammates and fans there, coming around on the guy that abruptly traded him after a difficult, emotional season will be much harder.
Thomas said that though his eventual return to Boston with the Cavaliers will be "all love", that affection won't be extended to the man who traded him as part of a league-shaking package for Irving.
Thomas admits he doesn't view Celtics GM and President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge in a positive light anymore.
Some players really don't want to be traded. I might not ever talk to Danny (Ainge) again. "I know there's a lot of feelings that go on when these types of things happen".
"Hoop is what lets me forget about everything else", Thomas says. That's not right. I'm not saying '(expletive) you.' But every team in this situation comes out a year or two later and says, 'We made a mistake'. After the trade to Cleveland happened, Thomas couldn't believe Ainge had it in him to pull the trigger. He said he would but he couldn't say if Thomas felt the same way. That takes two people, and obviously he said some things today and has some strong feelings and strong emotions and I understand those.
In the interview - entitled 'Best year of my career, worst year of my life, ' Thomas touches on the hip injury that he suffered last year, which is sidelining him from starting the season with the Cavs this year. "I would try to [talk to Thomas], but I have no idea", Ainge said.
The Celtics and Cavaliers play each other three times this season, but Thomas will miss the first game on October 17 as he still recovers from his hip injury.
- Liverpool and Arsenal's Christmas Eve clash set for 12.30 kickoff?
- Microsoft Edge Preview for Android Hits Google Play
- Natural disaster recorded near North Korea's nuclear test site
- White SC restaurant manager accused of torturing, 'enslaving' mentally challenged black man
- New Mutants Director Announces Teaser Trailer
- Stocks retreat from records; banks, media shares weak
- Bioware Director Mike Laidlaw Leaves Company After 14 Years
- Roger Goodell's Wife Uses Secret Twitter Account to Defend Her Husband
- Local scouting community reacts to Boy Scouts changes
- Trader's Watch List: Wells Fargo & Company