While there will still be plenty of interest in Russian Federation 2018, it's no doubt disappointing to both American soccer fans and Fox that the USA will not be a part of the competition.
Bruce Arena's boys lost their crucial qualifier against Trinidad and Tobago last night and their 2-1 slump saw former US worldwide and now a TV pundit Taylor Twellman lay into the entire soccer system in the country. Victories to Panama and Honduras sealed America's fate.
To win a bidding war with ESPN, Fox agreed to pay $400 million for the English-broadcast rights to the World Cup in 2018 and 2022.
The US have now failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1986 and Twellman let everyone know how he felt about that embarrassing situation. "Nightmares for the rest of their lives because this is an utter embarrassment", Twellman said on ESPN. "The most surreal and embarrassing night in United States soccer history". "Max, you don't deserve to go to the World Cup, plain and simple".
But rather than a final goodbye to beloved superstars and a grand welcome to the future of the sport, the American men's soccer machine will have to collect itself, lick its wounds, and figure out a way to recover.
"The discussion after Brazil  was, 'Can we beat the Colombias and the Belgiums and the Argentinas of the world", Twellman said. We can't beat Trinidad on a field that's too wet and too heavy?
Herculez Gomez says the USA are regressing rather than progressing in terms of player development.
- Cyber Honey Trap: Hackers Hit PornHub Users With Malvertising Attack
- Lufthansa CEO says to sign Air Berlin deal today
- EC to announce dates for Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh assembly elections today
- Aarushi Talwar-Hemraj Murder: Timeline of Case so Far
- Why Traders Are Chasing Pilgrim's Pride Corporation (PPC), Gulfport Energy Corporation (GPOR)
- McDonald's Sauce Promotion Disappoints Fans of 'Rick and Morty'
- What's Transpiring With Shares of Federal Realty Investment Trust (NYSE:FRT)?
- Google to integrate Duo App to Android by default
- LLC Raises Stake in JetBlue Airways Co. (JBLU)
- Arsenal defender Skhodran Mustafi ruled out for at least a month