The Allahabad High Court bench of Justices BK Narayana and AK Mishra today set aside a special CBI court verdict holding dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar guilty in the 2008 sensational murder of their daughter Aarushi Talwar and domestic help Hemraj.
After the verdict, Aarushi's grandfather talked to CNN-News18 and said that he is grateful for the "positive" judgment and he always knew that Nupur and Rajesh were innocent.
The Court said, "The Talwars should be given a benefit of doubt".
On May 16, 2008, 13-year-old Aarushi was found dead in her room with her throat slit.
However, a day after Aarushi;s murder, Hemraj was found dead in the terrace.
Noida Police alleged that Rajesh had committed the twin murders after finding Aarushi and Hemraj in an "objectionable" position.
While passing the order, the court reversed the verdict of the CBI court which had convicted the Talwars.
Both parents had denied the murder and insisted they were victims of botched investigations and unfair media coverage, damaging their defense.
Defence in High Court: There was a friendly entry.
After talking to Aarushi's friends, the police began to suspect that her parents were involved in her murder.
Rajesh and Nupur were convicted in 2013 over the charges of murdering their daughter Aarushi and domestic help Hemraj at their residence. The High Court had also chose to hear the appeals afresh due to contradictions in some submissions made by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and had resumed the hearing in August.
"They were only present at home that night as parents and were punished".
The Allahabad High Court ended the couple's nine-year ordeal by saying they could not be held guilty given the circumstances and evidence on record.
On June 13, Rajesh Talwar's compounder Krishna was arrested by the CBI.
CBI submitted a closure report on the case in December, 2010 on the basis of "insufficient evidence". "In fact, they will have to answer a number of questions in the Supreme Court as to why they did not investigate properly". The police was accused by many for not doing their investigation properly and they were even accused of tempering the evidences.
- Apple partners LG for foldable iPhone
- Hurricane Ophelia moving at crawl in northeastern Atlantic
- Traders Sell Shares of UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (UNH) on Strength (UNH)
- Apple is working on folding iPhone 'which could transform into an iPad'
- Nokia 9 with curved glass display and dual rear cameras leaks
- McDonald's Sauce Promotion Disappoints Fans of 'Rick and Morty'
- Liberia polls close in presidential election
- Russian Federation may demand USA to reduce diplomats to 300 or fewer
- Donald Trump may visit demilitarised zone during first trip to South Korea
- Melania Responds to Ivana Trump's Comment That She's the Real First Lady