A representative for Weinstein released this statement to The New Yorker: "Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein".
For example, at the 2013 Oscars, host Seth MacFarlane was reading out the list of Oscar nominations for best actress and said: "Congratulations".
By this point, several stories attempting to expose Weinstein's casting couch antics had been killed by higher-ups.
TMZ reports that Seth MacFarlane made his joke about Harvey Weinstein at the 2013 Oscar Nominations on behalf of his friend, Jessica Barth (who worked on Family Guy and Ted), who told MacFarlane in 2011 that Weinstein had made advances towards her. MacFarlane was so upset about this that he chose to take a shot at Weinstein publicly.
In recent days, the joke has been seen to take on new meaning as shocking stories have come to light regarding Weinstein's gross treatment of women.
"I couldn't resist the opportunity to take a hard swing in his direction". According to Barth, the disgraced executive allegedly invited her to his hotel room, where, the New Yorker claims, he was, "alternat [ing] between offering to cast her in a film and demanding a naked massage in bed ..." "She has since courageously come forward to speak out". Some have pointed to the clip as a tacit admission that Weinstein's behavior has always been known, but not discussed or confronted, in Hollywood.
It came hours after actresses Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow claimed Weinstein targeted them early in their careers and he faced bombshell claims he raped three women, including Italian actress Asia Argento. There is nothing more abhorrent and insensible than abuse of power such as this. Barth tweeted. "He stood by me and respected my wishes that he not retaliate in any way".
When the online attacks continued, Barth posted, "Oh my god, seriously!?" Barth wrote. "STOP! He was respecting my decision!" And, only after he discussed this with me did he make a statement.
"To everyone bad mouthing Seth, how about applauding him for being one of FEW men in Hollywood speaking out!"
- Adrian Peterson believes he has 4-5 years left
- Drilling Down Into Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY)
- Analyst Ideas For Two Stocks: Costco Wholesale Corporation (COST), Netflix, Inc. (NFLX)
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. (LOW)
- Xolo Era 3
- Aamir Khan's Dangal wins 2017's highest grossing foreign language in Australia
- Helios & Matheson CEO eyes options for MoviePass expansion
- Play Star Wars Battlefront 2 Early With EA Access And Origin
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Premieres in November on Amazon
- '13 Reasons Why' Shuts Down Production Due To Devastating Northern California Wildfires