The Nanded Waghala Municipal Corporation (NWMC) has been a Congress stronghold for the past two decades. Trends and results are expected to be available by 10:30 am.
The corporation has 3.96 lakh registered voters.
As per the State Election Commission's directives, Ward No 02 of the Nanded Waghala City Municipal Corporation (NWCMC) was selected by draw for Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) machines. The counting of votes for the chosen ward, Ward Number 2, will be done twice, once through electronic voting machines (EVMs) and the next time through the VVPATs.
"The return journey for the Congress in Maharashtra has begun in Nanded". Trends and results are expected to be available in few hours time. The Congress is now leading on 17 seats, BJP on 1, Shiv Sena on 1. "The Congress wipes out BJP", an elated Chavan tweeted. NCP is contesting on 57 seats, Shiv Sena is contesting on 76 seats (73+3), AIMIM and BSP are together contesting on 49 seats, Samajwadi Party is contesting on 24 seats.
Congress is in power in Nanded since its foundation.
Both the Congress and the BJP had made it a battle of prestige to wrest control of the civic body in the city renowned for the Hazoor Sahib Gurudwara, which is one of the five holy Sikh Takhts and the resting place of Guru Gobind Singh. The Congress seems set for a convincing victory in Nanded as the party is now leading in 44 of the 81 seats till last reports came in.
The All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) the two parties contesting the election in alliance are likely to win a total of 10 seats, the exit polls said.
During the last election, the Congress had won 41 seats of the 81 in the corporation.
The fact that former Maharashtra Chief Minister and Congress leader Ashok Chavan is spearheading his party in the elections shows the importance attached to Nanded municipal corporation.
The BJP, the ruling party in the state and Centre, attempted to use all tactics to gain control of the corporation: From deploying Fadnavis to lead their election campaign to using local Shiv Sena MLA Pratap Patil Chikhalikar, who switched to the BJP and was seen openly campaigning for the saffron party. Election to the civic body was held on Wednesday.
- Cyber Honey Trap: Hackers Hit PornHub Users With Malvertising Attack
- McDonald's Sauce Promotion Disappoints Fans of 'Rick and Morty'
- Nick Kyrgios fined after storming off court during Shanghai Masters
- Police arrest one accused of Odia techie murder case in Bengaluru
- Anthony Martial 'Happy' To Reject Arsenal
- Finally! Amazon introduces a waterproof Kindle; priced at Rs 21999
- Aarushi Talwar-Hemraj Murder: Timeline of Case so Far
- EC to announce dates for Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh assembly elections today
- Spacewalkers float out to lubricate robotic arm
- This Weeks Target Prices For Investors Real Estate Trust (NYSE:IRET)