The 38-year-old is said to have communicated his desire to both the Indian skipper, Virat Kohli as well as the head coach, Ravi Shastri. He has not played any cricket after getting injured in the last IPL.
Nehra has been serving the national side since 1999. He said he would have retired after the third match against Australia in Hyderabad.
Veteran India pacer Ashish Nehra is set to call time on his global career after the first T20I against New Zealand on November 1. Since India play their next T20 in Delhi, Nehra prefers to play that match,"a BCCI official told the news paper".
"Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Jasprit Bumrah are form bowlers and Ashish felt that it's only fair in the interest of the team that they continue", the official said.
Nehra was recently picked for the three-match T20 worldwide series against Australia but everyone was surprised when he did not figure in the playing XI for the first two matches.
Having reportedly made himself unavailable to play in the Indian Premier League Twenty20 competition next season, it is understood he is being tapped by several franchises to join their backroom staff as a bowling coach. Obviously, there is some element of surprise. He has played 17 Tests (44 wickets), 120 ODIs (157 wickets) and 26 T20Is (34 wickets). "But he feels, it's the right time to move on", the senior official said.
But it seems, Nehra finally has taken a call on his injury-plagued career which spanned 18 years. He is best remembered for his 6 for 23 against England at Durban in the 2003 World Cup. He was part of India's 2011 World Cup winning squad.
The 38-year-old pacer, who made his worldwide debut in December 1999 against Sri Lanka, was picked for Friday's third T20I match against Australia. This year he played for Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH).
- Russian Federation queries USA over terrorists in Syria
- Cara Delevingne reveals experience with Harvey Weinstein: 'I felt powerless'
- NBC Let Ronan Farrow's Weinstein Scoop Slip Away
- Jack Wilshere is considering leaving Arsenal
- '13 Reasons Why' Shuts Down Production Due To Devastating Northern California Wildfires
- Xolo Era 3
- Intel created a superconducting test chip for quantum computing
- Analyst Ideas For Two Stocks: Costco Wholesale Corporation (COST), Netflix, Inc. (NFLX)
- What Does Insider Trading Tell Us About Occidental Petroleum Corporation (OXY)?
- Two dead, 15 admitted as five storey building collapses in Kisii