Neither representative would give a prediction on how the change will impact either organization's membership but Steindl says he looks forward to bringing in the new Cubs, "its not new it's just a younger age group". But this is the first time the organization has opened up its traditional programs to girls, including the option to reach Eagle Scout, a distinction only about 2 percent of scouts have ever achieved, according to the BSA. "This unique approach allows the organization to maintain the integrity of the single gender model while also meeting the needs of today's families", the news release said. Cub Scout dens will be single-gender - all boys or all girls.
Boy Scouts will now allow girls to joins their ranks.
With dwindling numbers and a request from families, and of course the girls, the board of directors voted unanimously on the decision.
As a result, the entire family can be present at the events and enjoy them together, Bozzi said.
No word on whether the Boy Scouts' name will change. "It's a program that helps develop character based in an outdoor kind of setting".
"There has to be a female adult leader there if there are girls, so there's always someone comfortable to speak to", said Vitela. The Blue Ridge Council Boys Scout of America said the decision has been years in the making.
This decision expands the programs that the Boy Scouts of America offers for both boys and girls.
The Girl Scouts of the US said the move strains the century-old bond between the two organizations. "Girl Scouts remains committed to and believes strongly in the importance of the all-girl, girl-led, and girl-friendly environment, creating a necessary safe space for girls to learn and thrive".
Locally there are an estimated 13,000 boy scouts in the region, and about 16,000 girl scouts.
"I was overjoyed because I think the scouting programs delivered through the Cub Scouts are such an excellent family-oriented experience".
In 2016, the Sequoyah Council bestowed him with the Silver Buffalo Award, the highest commendation given by the Boy Scouts of America. "The precious time they have with their children are so meaningful", he said.
Her older brother Michael Flicker is an equally accomplished Boy Scout.
"There's a lot of change going on in our nation right now and I think it was going to happen eventually it was just a matter of when".
- Traders Sell Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) on Strength Following Analyst Downgrade
- Palace distances self from SC ruling to keep De Lima in jail
- Martinez: Fellaini injury won't sour relationship with Mourinho
- Razer teases 1 November event, likely for a new smartphone
- Supreme Court must probe Jay Shah deals, says Congress
- Doughboyz Cashout rapper Doughboy Roc killed in Detroit
- Jordan Brand ending Carmelo Anthony's signature-shoe line
- Assassin's Creed Origin DLC Details Revealed
- Conservative Groups Call For Mitch McConnell To Resign
- Helios & Matheson CEO eyes options for MoviePass expansion