USA dreams were dashed on Tuesday when they lost 2-1 to Trinidad and Tobago to finish fifth in the six-team North, Central American and Caribbean (CONCACAF) qualifying group. We're building a good system in our professional league.
The U.S. loss "is a blow to Fox Sports' soccer ambitions", Steven Cahall, an analyst at RBC Capital Markets, said Wednesday in a note. While watching the game and playing it are two different products, one can certainly lead to another. But the 37-year-old former New England Revolution star absolutely rejected the notion that the system can go on unchanged.
"If this failure does not wake up everyone from U.S Soccer (Federation) to Major League Soccer to "pay to play" (youth soccer), to broadcasters, everything, then we are all insane".
When reminded of that line of thinking, Twellman yelled: 'Oh come on'.
At the time it likely seemed like a safe investment as the USA had qualified for every World Cup since 1990 and is considered to have a manageable path through CONCACAF.
The U.S. men's soccer team was eliminated from World Cup qualification Tuesday, a shocking result that could leave sponsors and media partners in the lurch for millions of dollars.
In addition to Fox Sports' rights to the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, the company also owns the English-language rights to the 2026 tournament, which the U.S.is considered a favorite to co-host with Mexico and Canada.
Unfortunately, things did not improve much under Arena, who has gone 10-2-6 in his second stint with the U.S. National Team.
Football pundit Taylor Twellman was outraged after the US failed to qualify for the World Cup - watch his reaction here.
Those broadcasts - especially Fox's - will likely see a decrease in viewership without the U.S.in contention.
- Smoke from wildfires prompts health caution
- Pre-Market Movers - Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company (NYSE:HPE)
- Smoking on the beach banned
- The Swiss sewage system is literally a gold mine
- NFL Betting: New England Patriots vs. New York Jets - Week 6
- Most Recent Analysts Ratings Caesars Entertainment Corporation (CZR)
- 'Las Vegas part two'? NY man arrested for threat
- Martinez: Fellaini injury won't sour relationship with Mourinho
- Assassin's Creed Origin DLC Details Revealed
- AMC Entertainment Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:AMC)'s Valuation Review According to Quant