Apple and LG are also said to be working closer on OLED screens for 2018's iPhone range.
Apple has reportedly started working on a foldable iPhone with LG Display, not Samsung Display - the sole OLED supplier - possibly due to concerns over tech leaks to its archrival Samsung Electronics.
Alongside the screen, a future foldable iPhone would also require a flexible circuit board and Apple may also assign the printing of such a circuit board to LG. However, the report also says that the foldable display panel production for iPhones could start by early 2019.
Apple may be now buying OLED panels from Samsung, but it seems reluctant to continue the trade. According to a MacRumors report, only the iPad Pro lineup will feature support for FaceID, and the "regular" iPad models will continue to feature Apple's Touch ID system for fingerprint scanning.
There was a varient of this rumor that surfaced back in May about Apple preparing a foldable smartphone with LG. The handset could go on sale in 2020. Given the fact that the South Korean company has already been working for years on this project, this reasoning seems to be a little faulty, to say the least.
According to Apple, the phone will feature facial recognition technology for biometric security, along with an OLED display, innovative TrueDepth camera, all-glass front and back, and the A11 Bionic processor with a neural engine.
Estimates suggest Samsung could earn $4 billion in total from the phone, if sales live up to expectations. The screen on the iPhone X is where Apple focused its design. Apple is rumoured to be considering investing in this plant, but a deal hasn't been finalised. Samsung is expected to launch their flexible smartphone in 2018.
Samsung is now the sole manufacturer of the OLED displays, NAND flash and DRAM chip in quantities required by Apple for its iPhones.
- Nokia 9 with curved glass display and dual rear cameras leaks
- Spacewalkers float out to lubricate robotic arm
- Lufthansa CEO says to sign Air Berlin deal today
- Russian Federation may demand USA to reduce diplomats to 300 or fewer
- Orders 166 phones and claims refund
- Sky takeover probe to focus on media plurality, broadcasting standards
- Michelle Wu to host Puerto Rico fundraiser October 14
- Taylor Twellman Is Really Angry USA Missed The 2018 World Cup
- Traders Sell Shares of UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (UNH) on Strength (UNH)
- EC to announce dates for Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh assembly elections today