A survey by Delhi Commission for Women has revealed that more than 65 percent of women in Delhi would be forced to look for less safer and cheaper modes of transportation in the wake of metro fare hike.
The minimum hike hase been Rs 5 and the maximum Rs 10.
According to the DMRC annual reports shared by Yadav's party, Delhi metro board's audit committee meetings were held on May 24, 2016, July 22, 2016, September 16, 2016, and January 16, 2017.
AAP's Delhi unit convenor Gopal Rai, who is also a Minister in the Arvind Kejriwal Government, also sought to debunk the claim that the tariff hike was being done to cut Delhi Metro losses, and said if the travel fares increase, this will have a direct impact on ridership.
She said, "At a time when six rapes and several cases of eve- teasing and harassment are reported each day, the metro fare hike has forced women to go back to less safer modes of transportation".
The latest increase drew strong reactions from commuters, with some saying they would consider alternative public transport. This is not a good thing.
Politics over the revised Metro fares, implemented from Tuesday, refuses to die with the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) resorting to all means to up the heat.
"The Modi government's decision to hike fares is unfortunate and taken with (a feeling of) animosity". They (the UD ministry) say that Metro is running into losses, but this is not true.
"Delhi government which has a 50 per cent stake in Delhi Metro, didn't attend meetings of committees related to DMRC's functioning in the last two years".
He added that the Delhi Government is collecting twice the amount of VAT from people in comparison to other states in the nation.
In an earlier letter to Union Minister of Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri, the DCW had apprised him of the gaping loopholes in the fare hike recommendation report and had asked the Centre to roll back the fare hike.
ABVP staged a demonstration outside the Metro Bhawan here, demanding the rollback of the hike or issuance of a Metro pass for students, similar to the DTC bus service.
- Project Loon service approved to serve recovering Puerto Rico
- Panthers vs. Eagles: Preview, predictions and how to watch
- Vikas Gupta to have an emotional breakdown in Bigg Boss 11
- Supreme Court dismisses one of two travel ban cases
- Callahan Advisors LLC Has $2.78 Million Holdings in CVS Health Corporation (CVS)
- Love jihad: NIA claims two women trapped, converted
- QTS Realty Trust Inc (QTS) Director Sells $61154.25 in Stock
- Georges St-Pierre: Fight with McGregor unlikely
- 2 militants killed in encounter in North Kashmir's Bandipore
- Campus cops were told student may have weapon