Texas Tech has confirmed that the active shooter is a student who shot dead a police officer earlier tonight.
The Texas Tech University campus in Lubbock was put on lockdown Monday night after a fatal shooting was reported at the school's police department.
Police say he grabbed a gun and shot the officer in the head.
In a statement, Gov. Greg Abbott said he had spoken with the chancellor of the Texas Tech University and offered his condolences. The student fled on foot - again, raising questions about security inside the stationhouse - but was caught by 9:34 p.m. The student newspaper reported, "There is heavy police and SWAT presence at Boston Ave and 19th Street on campus now".
The suspect was later taken into custody, Lubbock police said in a statement on Twitter. Police said they do not know how Daniels obtained the weapon. The officer is deceased.
The university went into lockdown shortly after 8 p.m.
The shooting suspect is said to belong to a prominent family of theater owners in Seguin, Texas. They asked him to leave the area. He is a communications arts student at the university, according to a Heavy.com report.
Go to Texas Tech's emergency site for info on sheltering in place. Officers took the suspect to the police station for standard questioning and to prepare to take him to the Lubbock County jail, Texas Tech police Chief Kyle Bonath said.
This story is developing.
- Trump boasts of a higher IQ than Tillerson
- Pawan Kalyan, Anna Lezhneva become parents to a baby boy in Hyderabad
- Frankie Muniz Says He Doesn't Remember Much of Malcolm in the Middle
- Sensex, Nifty remain firm
- Interested in bidding for Air India, says Tata chairman
- Download iTunes 12.6.3 for Windows & Mac with Built-in App Store
- Ballon d'Or: Kane, De Gea, Kante, Coutinho, De Bruyne, Neymar shortlisted
- Sylvester Stallone To Direct, Produce Creed 2
- Kobe Steel's Data-fabrication Stuns Japanese Manufacturers
- Indian Defence Minister's 'Goodwill Gesture' charms Chinese media