Philip Rivers recovered from his fifth interception of the season - a poorly thrown ball in the end zone that was intended for Keenan Allen - to throw three touchdowns, including a go-ahead 10-yard toss to Melvin Gordon in the fourth quarter.
Having trailed for 67.7-percent of their time on the field this season, a good start was imperative for the Giants.
The touchdown pass was Rivers' third of the game and came three plays after Kyle Emanuel had a sack, forced fumble and recovery against Eli Manning at the Giants 11-yard line. The Chargers have been a bend-don't-break unit under new defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, but all that's done is make for tantalizing close losses.
Los Angeles punched right back with a touchdown on their first possession of the second quarter. Both teams are leaky in coverage: the Chargers allow 28.8 yards per kick return (32nd in NFL), and the Giants allow 18 yards per punt return. Odell Beckham and Roger Lewis are the Giants' only two healthy receivers, literally. Each team converted a PAT that hit the upright and bounced the right way.
It was needed considering the Giants lost wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Sterling Shepard to ankle injuries in the first half. Dwayne Harris broke a foot on a kickoff return in the third quarter.
OUT: After playing in 84 straight games, Giants DE Olivier Vernon (ankle) was sidelined for the first time in his career. Brett Jones will start at center for Weston Richburg, who is out with a concussion.
- "Blade Runner 2049" Disappoints, Still Comfortably Leads US Friday Box Office
- Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr. carted off field with ankle injury
- Browns bench DeShone Kizer, immediately score but still lose
- Las Vegas Mass Shooter Reportedly Booked Hotel Rooms During Lollapalooza
- Hurricane Nate makes 2nd landfall near Biloxi, MS, as Category 1 storm
- 4 keys to Astros-Red Sox ALDS Game 2
- Amber Alert issued for Richardson toddler believed to be in grave danger
- Toby Alderweireld hoping to remain with partner Vertonghen for years to come
- Stymied police seek help in uncovering Vegas gunman's motive
- Petrol pumps to go on strike on October 13 in Kerala