With the Cleveland Browns trailing the New York Jets, 3-0, after the first half of play at FirstEnergy Stadium, Cleveland Browns coach Hue Jackson made a change at quarterback, benching rookie starter DeShone Kizer in favor of second-year reserve Kevin Hogan.
McCown went just 1-10 in two seasons as a starter for the Browns, who released him on February 7 in a cost-cutting move.
However, upon coming into the game, Hogan led the Browns to a lead, going 5-of-5 on his first drive with 52 yards and a touchdown.
Over the first 15 minutes of play, the Browns had 61 yards of total offense and mounted a late-quarter drive that went 50 yards and into the goal-to-go area. However, running back Isaiah Crowell was stopped short by New York's defense. Two plays later, McCown tossed a 2-yard touchdown pass to tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins. WR Kenny Britt was inactive for the Browns with groin/knee injuries after starting the first four game.
Cleveland trailed 3-0 at halftime after Jets kicker Chandler Cantazaro drilled a 57-yard field goal as time expired in the half. The score was set up by cornerback Morris Claiborne, who picked off Hogan's overthrow and returned it 28 yards. He won the job in preseason, but he has not played well to start the regular season.
Hogan's touchdown pass gave the Browns their first lead of the season.
Kizer stood on the sideline next to Jackson wearing a baseball cap and blank expression as Hogan completed five straight passes, including his scoring pass to Njoku, who snared the pass with a diving, one-handed grab.
Kizer was benched in the second half on Sunday's game against the Jets. Not only did the turnovers come in the red zone, but also, in goal-to-go situations.
- India Falls at the First Step, Humbled by US 3-0
- Mike Pence leaves National Football League game after players kneel during anthem
- 22 dead in central America, as tropical storm Nate pummels through
- More Disturbing Details Emerge About The Las Vegas Shooter
- Petrol pumps to go on strike on October 13 in Kerala
- Today's Brokerage Rating: Amicus Therapeutics, Inc. (FOLD), Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (WBA)
- Trump approves MS emergency declaration ahead of Hurricane Nate
- WSU finally hits the road
- Detroit Lions fall short against the Carolina Panthers, 27-24
- Stymied police seek help in uncovering Vegas gunman's motive