Reports state that an exchange of fire was going on between the terrorists and security forces when the incident occurred. The security forces said that they sealed all possible escape routes.
Besides the civilian airport, the technical airport used by Armed Forces and VIPs is also in the vicinity.
The attack comes days after the first anniversary of the deadly Uri attacks, which left 19 soldiers and 4 attackers dead.
2 terrorists killed in total.
Jammu and Kashmir Deputy Chief Minister Nirmal Singh said at least one more terrorist is holed up in the administrative building and the JCO mess, news agency ANI reported. Total 2 terrorists killed.
#9:15 AM: Total three BSF jawans and a policeman were injured. However, the decision of resuming air traffic to be taken by Airports Authority of India and concerned airlines. Besides being a highly guarded security zone because of the location of the strategic airport, many top former bureaucrats, police officials and politicians have residences in the area. School, which is located near the airport, will remain closed today, in light of the attack on the BSF camp.
53 Rajput Rifles, BSF and Special Operations Group (SOG) zonal have placed a cordon around the building where terrorists are holed up.
The attackers assaulted the heavily-guarded camp outside a regional airport in the area's main city of Srinagar in the early hours of Tuesday, hurling grenades and spraying automatic gunfire.
Flight operations have been suspended till security clearance.
Earlier, militants attacked the Border Security Force (BSF) camp situated near the airport. In the retaliatory action by the troops, 01 Fidayeen also killed. The encounter is in progress. Employees and passengers headed towards the airport were allowed to proceed only after 8:30 am.
The deceased soldier is among the three troopers who were injured in the attack. Heavy firing and massive explosion were heard.
- Matic To Rivals: I Will Only Get Better
- Palestinian PM arrives in Gaza, first visit since 2015
- Morata injured for two months, Conte on title defence, Lukaku compared
- Oil falls more than 2 percent on signs of higher output
- 'Judwaa 2' mints over 60 crore in its opening weekend
- 'Blade Runner 2049' red carpet cancelled after Las Vegas shooting
- More than Half of SUNY and CUNY Students Go For Free
- Chizzy first to leave Strictly Come Dancing
- Oakland Raiders QB Derek Carr suffers back injury vs. Broncos
- 'People were running and screaming': Calgarian injured in Las Vegas attack