Blood Assurance is on standby to send blood to Las Vegas area hospitals in the wake of the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history.
Virginia Blood Services shipped blood to help support the hospitals in Las Vegas treating hundreds of shooting victims. But a donor never knows where their life saving blood will land.
However, despite their urge for blood donations, gay and bisexual men are still being prevented from donating blood as a result of old legislation, through fear of being contaminated by HIV or syphilis.
"I said well, instead of going to the gym I'm going to go donate blood", said Ralph Brewer.
Nguyen said last week she had to get supplies from the mainland to make up for a shortage. Numerous patients lost a lot of blood and many needed surgery.
"I mean I would hope that if something were to happen to my family and friends that more people would come out and do this", said Dillard. It's the blood on the shelf that saves lives when tragedy strikes.
Former NSYNC singer and Las Vegas native Lance Bass tweeted his frustration at the ban: "How is it STILL illegal for gays to donate blood??!".
"We stand ready to provide blood and blood products as needed in response to this tragedy", the statement reads. The Southern Nevada chapter of the Red Cross accepts donations on its website, by phone at 702-369-3674 or via mail at 1771 East Flamingo Road, #206B, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89119. Around her, a flurry of activity played out as medical personnel called volunteers for their turn to donate.
"If you have the ability to donate blood to help the cause, please do so", he said, according to Fox News. "We understand that people want to come forward now to show their support, however, to effectively manage the blood supply for patients, we are asking donors to make appointments to give blood throughout the coming days and weeks".
- Alleged HTC U11 Life Specs Leaked
- National Basketball Association revamps format for All-Star Game
- Gran Turismo Sport getting a limited time demo on October 9
- Reporter arrested over Grace Mugabe underwear donation
- Bodyguard recounts deadly Benghazi attack
- FCA Recalling 700K Utes for Brake Problem
- SFPD Officer's Wife Missing After Las Vegas Shooting
- GoFundMe for victims, families of Las Vegas shooting tops $2M
- China Open: Maria Sharapova advances to third round
- 912 civilians killed in Syria last month: UK-based NGO