A mid-level ridge moving east across the northeastern US will likely cause Maria's forward motion to further slow this week.
Maria is forecast to move north and pass about 150 miles east to southeast of the Outer Banks by mid week.
A Puerto Rico dam damaged by heavy rains from Hurricane Maria was in danger of failing on Sunday, posing a risk to communities downstream, as people across the USA territory sought to dig out from the deadly storm, Reuters reported.
Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 60 miles from the center of the storm, the NHC said, and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 230 miles.
Hyde County emergency services director Jason Gibbs said Monday morning that 225 people had evacuated Ocracoke Island since the 5 a.m. order went into effect. Forecasters said they will likely cause life-threatening surf and rip current conditions.
Since Harvey formed in the Gulf of Mexico on August 24, forecasters have been watching the Atlantic for likely threats to the United States or the Caribbean islands.
Some of the most fragile islands in the continental United States are preparing for the latest strike from this year's devastating hurricane season. Hatteras has a year-round population of about 500 people, who are not required to leave.
That left locals to watch another storm chew up their beaches.
Merrill says 1 to 2 inches of rainfall in expected with this storm, with locally higher amounts possible. During the winters, Nor'easters can also churn away sand and flood roads.
The Atlantic Ocean has been washing under waterfront homes and onto side streets since Tuesday at high tide in parts of Avon, said Tony Meekins, 55, a lifelong resident. "We see storm after storm". A layer of wet sand remained on the road Wednesday.
Brent and Donna Bennett of Buxton worry about lost wages.
Whatever happens he said, "we'll rebuild and carry on".
Meanwhile, the Trump administration announced it will waive federal restrictions on foreign ships' transportation of cargo to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico. Republicans and Democrats have pushed Trump to waive the Jones Act, saying it could help get desperately needed supplies delivered to the island more quickly and at less cost.
- Shares in PTC Therapeutics, Inc. (PTCT) Purchased by Quantitative Investment Management LLC
- Western Digital Corporation (WDC) - How much Insider Stake
- Marathon Oil Corporation (MRO)
- Hulu Adds Boy Meets World, Home Improvement & Dinosaurs to TGIF Lineup
- Defender Benjamin Mendy to Miss Most of Season With Knee Injury
- Morata: Eden Hazard Is In The Top 3 Players In The…
- Steelers vs Ravens: Game Pick - AFC North supremacy at stake
- Trump Plans Next Move To 'Confront The North Korean Threat'
- Pier 1 Imports, Inc. (NYSE:PIR)
- Chardan Capital Reaffirms Buy Rating for Amicus Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:FOLD)