Susan Collins said Monday that she opposes the latest incarnation of her party's effort to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, dealing what appeared to be a fatal blow to the proposed legislation.
Republicans are facing a September 30 deadline to pass a repeal bill by a simple majority.
Other senators on the panel, including co-author of the bill Sen.
McCain is among those concerned about the bill's cuts to Medicaid.
Gillibrand credited opponents who "made clear that they would be harmed if that bill passed" for helping derail the Republicans' health care repeal measure.
The bill would have also given a smaller amount than now spent on premium subsidies and Medicaid expansion to states in the form of a block grants.
Supporters have touted the bill as a flexible alternative to past repeal proposals, but an analysis last week from the Kaiser Family Foundation said that from 2020 to 2026 it would amount to a $160 billion cut in federal health care funding. Susan Collins of ME, came out against the bill.
"And at some point there will be a repeal on my desk, but we'll see whether or not that point is now or will it be shortly thereafter", Trump said Tuesday. 30 deadline-after which Republicans would need an impossible 60 votes to pursue further action. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska by adding provisions to the bill that would benefit the residents of her state.
"And the best news is, I can go back to talking about the Kardashians", Kimmel reassures the audience.
That means the GOP must either work with Democrats to get eight more votes on a healthcare bill or wait to mount another effort under reconciliation rules in either the fiscal 2018 or the fiscal 2019 budget.
- North Korea crisis: Mattis says goal "to solve this diplomatically"
- Qatar Airways announces $2bn Boeing plane order
- Trump Expands Travel Ban To Include North Korea And Venezuela
- Twitter explains why it won't take down Trump's North Korea tweet
- Large Iceberg Detached From an Antarctic Glacier
- Comparisons to Ronaldo and Messi providing inspiration for Harry Kane
- New Analyst Ratings For Informa (LON:INF)
- Maria weakens to 'large tropical storm' amid movement north
- Antonio Conte thanks Diego Costa for Chelsea contribution
- Jerry Jones kneels with Cowboys in pre-anthem statement