Trump was condemning players refusing to stand during the national anthem as part of the "Take A Knee" movement, which began a year ago in the NFL in protest of police brutality against African Americans.
The Arizona Cardinals linked arms and stood for the "Star-Spangled Banner" along with the Dallas Cowboys who knelt before the song.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, a strong showing by CBS also helped lift the NFL's overall ratings after a blowout game between the Oakland Raiders and Washington Redskins on NBC's "Sunday Night Football" was off 10%.
"But while Dallas dropped to its knees as a team, they all stood up for our National Anthem. We are too great of a country for that", she wrote, subtly invoking Trump's "make America great again" slogan.
Roethlisberger's Steelers was one of three teams that did not appear on the field for the national anthem at all Sunday - the Seattle Seahawks and Tennessee Titans were the others - and Lockhart said no players would be punished for that.
The day's biggest broadcast, NBC's "Sunday Night Football", declined about 10% from the equivalent game past year. "I just have no idea with all that we have before us, whether it's domestic challenges ... They'll be the most popular person in this country".
How the NFL Turned Colin Kaepernick's Protest Into #AllLivesMatter
The pollster said it asked more than 9,200 people who attended either one football, basketball or hockey game whether they tuned into fewer games and why.
Former San Fransisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick started this silent protest during last year's season, sparking several more this year - though Kaepernick was let go by the 49ers and remains unemployed. "Not at all. I have plenty of time on my hands", Trump said defending his time spent on the subject.
The Steelers' side of the field is almost empty during the national anthem Sunday in Chicago. But in a brief interview Monday evening, Kelly told CNN he is "appalled" by what he sees as a lack of respect for the flag and national anthem.
"You can both be a patriot and also say, 'you know what, I have the right to speak my own mind.' So I give them a lot of credit", Murphy said.
- Manchester City star named in European Team of the Week
- Large Iceberg Detached From an Antarctic Glacier
- Sen. Bob Corker Retiring from the Senate in 2018
- USA sanctions target several North Korea banks
- Thunder stars Anthony, George would welcome Dwyane Wade
- Morata scores hat-trick as Chelsea defeat Stoke
- Trump says NASCAR fans"won't put up" with disrespecting the flag
- Trump Warns Of "Devastating" Retaliation To North Korea Threat
- Target to Raise Its Minimum Wage, Makes Big Promise for 2020
- Qatar Airways announces $2bn Boeing plane order