Before the Dolphins-Jets game, four Dolphins players knelt and the rest of the team linked arms as a display of unity as the national anthem was performed. We know that things are not where they should be, but we will continue to work and strive to make things better, to bring equality to all people: men, women, no matter what your race, creed religion - it doesn't matter - equality for all.' But if you're an American, then I will always believe that we should be standing, showing respect to our flag with our hand over our heart.
"The very reason they have the privilege and opportunity to play professional football while being paid millions is because someone in uniform died protecting their right to do so", he opined.
Saints Head Coach Sean Payton backed his players and said "we need a little bit more wisdom" from the office of the president.
According to Havard, "Disrespecting our national anthem and flag in the name of social justice is the highest form of hypocrisy".
Saints players who sat during the anthem at Carolina Sunday included Kenny Vaccaro, Rafael Bush, Cameron Jordan, Sheldon Rankins, Alex Okafor, Chris Banjo, Andrian Peterson, Mark Ingram, Brandon Coleman and Alvin Kamara. However, Brees drew a hard line on how the flag and the anthem should be treated by players in the league.
"I disagree with what the president said and how he said it", Brees said during a press conference.
The debate started with one player making a silent protest. But at the same time, like I said, like I said in my Twitter post, it's bigger than me, man.
In a statement on Monday, Havard asserted that taxpayers should not have to "subsidize" the protests. But he says athletes should protest on their own time, not at state-subsidized sporting events.
"I don't believe it's the place to protest the national anthem".
A Louisiana lawmaker wants to cut state money from the New Orleans Saints because 10 players sat during the national anthem before Sunday's NFL game in Charlotte. "Fire or suspend!" Trump tweeted early Sunday.
- Lyft adds Ford to its ever-growing list of partners
- 'Young Sheldon' is a 'Big Bang' of East Texas references
- Nnamdi Kanu not in our Custody - Army
- Saudi Arabia finally lifts the ban on female driving
- Carrick and Fellaini miss out
- Broadcom Smartphone GPS Chip Claims 30cm Accuracy
- Microsoft Ignite shows off new options for Office 365, Skype for Business
- Sofia Vergara is TV's Highest Paid Actress for the Third Year!
- Apple holding up Toshiba memory sale
- Interpol accepts Palestinian police as members despite Israeli pressure