"We also want to as a complete team, as players and an organisation, be able to, whenever we can, demonstrate that unity is important and equality is important".
Members of the Cowboys kneel and link arms on September 25.
Jordin Sparks singing national anthem.
Over the weekend, Trump said owners should fire players who protested.
Jerry Jones, the Dallas Cowboys owner who donated $1 million to Trumps inauguration through a corporation, joined "America's Team" in taking a knee on the field. However, by collectively kneeling beforehand, they recognized the importance of others who kneel, expressed support to them and demonstrated that they respect the rights that we have to protest and express our views in a peaceful manner.
In Pittsburgh, offensive lineman Alejandro Villanueva, an Army veteran, stood alone outside his team's tunnel, hand over heart, while the rest of his squad was inside.
While the Cowboys did stand for the national anthem, the team's players all took a knee in solidarity prior to the start of the game, which is what Bryant is referring to when he says "sitting on the knee". "Big progress being made-we all love our country!", the tweet read.
"Wouldn't you love to see one of these National Football League owners when somebody disrespect our flag to say get the SOB off the field right now", Trump said.
"They were fighting for our country, they were fighting for our flag, they were fighting for our national anthem and for people to disrespect that by kneeling for the national anthem is disrespectful", he said. During the campaign, Trump famously said that McCain "was a war hero because he was captured".
Black Sports Online credited Jones with figuring out how to have his cake and eat it, too, with regard to Trump's statements, the subsequent protests and the backlash that's followed players' decisions to fight back.
No members of the Cowboys franchise had participated in a demonstration until Monday night, which aimed to show solidarity within the team and the National Football League amid Trump's criticism of the kneeling movement.
They knew that Trump knew exactly what he was doing when he Tweeted, "The issue of kneeling has nothing to do with race" - deflecting our attention from racism, while dog-whistling to his base.
"It is disrespectful to our men and women who have fought for our freedom and it is not the right place to do so", he stated.
- President Trump chides 'so-called Republicans' on health bill
- US Defense Secretary Mattis arrives in Kabul
- Top US diplomat Tillerson to travel to China this week
- Champions League Injuries: Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur Assess Squad Fitness
- Thomas Cook seeks to expand own-brand hotel options with LEMY deal
- Trump warns of 'devastating' military option as North Korea moves jets
- Alvaro Morata warns Chelsea's Premier League rivals he will only get better
- Analyst's Viewpoints: JC Penney Company Inc (JCP) and Novavax Inc (NVAX)
- GJM withdraws indefinite shutdown in Darjeeling after Rajnath's appeal to restore normalcy
- Bob Newhart Sets Return to 'The Big Bang Theory'