"What happened today was a byproduct of some points in time during practice".
Dormady connects with Tyler Byrd ofr a touchdown just before halftime. vols lead 14-6 at the half.
Offensive issues have continued for UT, with Quinten Dormady being replaced at one point by Jarrett Guarantano, who's averaging negative-0.8 yards per attempt. Guarantano hit just 2-of-5 passes for minus-3 yards.
"We needed to get win number three, and we got win number three", said head coach Butch Jones. "It is unacceptable, and we'll get back to work tonight".
Junior John Kelly rushed for 101 yards and one touchdown to help Tennessee overcome a subpar performance and record a 17-13 victory over MA on Saturday in nonconference play at Knoxville, Tenn.
Kelly sprinted around the left side and scored from 12 yards out on the next play for a 7-0 lead with 4:33 before the break. Dormady found Johnson over the middle and watched the Florida native run the ball deep down the field, all the way to the 12-yard line.
The Volunteers led by eight at halftime and increased the lead to 17-6 on a 40-yard field goal by senior Aaron Medley midway through the third quarter.
Tennessee barely beat UMass 17-13 at home.
Ross Comis took over and completed 2-of-5 passes for 8 yards.
Tennessee's defense buckled down and held on to preserve the Vols' flawless home record, holding the Minutemen to just 281 yards of total offense.
Young gained 76 yards on 14 carries. Johnson finished with career-highs for receptions (seven) and receiving yards (123).
Tennessee reached midfield on its second possession until a fumble by Dormady on a keeper cut the drive short.
And then you look up and realize it's scoreless in the first quarter, a one-score game at the half, and only a 17-13 Vols lead entering the fourth quarter.
Ugly seems like a kind way to describe Tennessee's win against UMass. Johnson was the go to guy on third down.
Tennessee's offense lacked any sort of production in the game.
It's back to the drawing board for Jones and his offense, as the Vols welcome Georgia into Neyland Stadium next Saturday.
- Mann ki Baat completes 3 years: Highlights of PM Modi's radio address
- Iran nuclear deal cannot be renegotiated: Rouhani
- Iran says it does not expect United States to leave nuclear deal
- North Korean official insults Trump, touts nuclear program in United Nations speech
- North Korea threatens of hydrogen bomb test in Pacific Ocean
- North Korea may test hydrogen bomb in Pacific
- At the United Nations, Trump tries to out-bluff 'rocket man'
- Giants' Jason Pierre-Paul: Eagles game is a 'must-win'
- Big four banks scrap ATM fees
- Senator McCain to vote against Obamacare repeal: statement