Both knees and prayer for "our planet, our future, our leaders of our world, and our globe".
With help from his son Kwame Morris, Wonder knelt down on one knee before telling the audience, to much applause: "Not just one knee". Athletes in both the National Basketball Association and the NFL then turned to social media to criticize Trump, who LeBron James called a "bum".
He followed by rescinding a White House invitation to National Basketball Association star Stephen Curry in a tweet Saturday, after the player suggested he was not sure he would attend.
At his rally Friday, Trump attacked a familiar litany of enemies, including North Korea and Hillary Clinton, and rounding on the National Football League, also questioned rule changes that penalise the most damaging hits in the game, after a series of players were left with serious brain injuries.
In a weekend rooted in divisiveness with a few hot-button debates brewing, the 2017 Global Citizen Festival couldn't have arrived at a more appropriate time.
The "Superstition" crooner did not blast Trump by name but teased two opposing world powers in North America and North Korea as a lesson in peace.
"We must take care of each other, and this planet", Wonder said.
"Weapons are real and rhetoric is unsafe", Wonder said. He also encouraged the crowd to "stand down bigotry" and "condemn sexism" while adding "It is only through life we can make life happen through ourselves and each other".
Among musicians scheduled to take to the stage was veteran singer-songwriter Stevie Wonder, who also took the opportunity of his set to make a political statement.
- Hurricane Maria could cause unsafe currents along USA coast
- Third man arrested in relation to London Tube attack
- MI loses starting quarterback with undisclosed injury
- No new injuries for United - Mourinho
- A North Korea nuclear test over the Pacific? Logical, terrifying
- "Shape of you" Ed Sheeran became the most listened to on Spotify
- Alvaro Morata, Chelsea Both Thank Fans for Changing Offensive Chant
- China tells Japan not to abandon dialogue over North Korea
- Leicester City 2, Liverpool 3: Man Of The Match
- One country can't scrap Iranian nuclear deal: President Rouhani to Trump