A MI baby who was born at 24 weeks gestation after her mother fell into a coma while suffering from brain cancer has died, her family members said. "That's what she wanted, and I supported her", Nick DeKlyen told the Detroit Free Press earlier this month.
She died on September 9, just two days after Life was born.
"We don't have any answers", she told the site.
The DeKlyen's daughter, Life Lynn, was born via cesarean at 5:30 p.m. September 6, weighing only 1 pound, 4 ounces, and was immediately placed in the neonatal intensive care unit at C.S. Mott Children's Hospital, USA Today reported.
DeKleyn reportedly qualified to be in a University of MI clinical trial for her cancer that doctors said might have extended her life another 10 to 20 years. Life Lynn DeKlyen died Wednesday at University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor, less than two weeks after her mother's death.
DeKlyen, 37, of Wyoming, Mich., was diagnosed in April with glioblastoma multiforme, an aggressively malignant brain tumor, according to MLive.com.
More than 3,000 Facebook users reacted and posted sorrowful comments in response to a post that shared the news on a page used by love ones to share the DeKlyens' updates.
"I have no explanation of why this happened, but I do know Jesus loves us and someday we will know why", the family wrote on Facebook in their announcement of Life Lynn's passing.
"It is with great sadness and an absolutely broken heart that I tell you Life Lynn passed away last night", the post reads. Not long after that, she and her husband, Nick, discovered that they were pregnant with their sixth child, a baby girl.
Carrie's family rushed her to the hospital in June when she suffered a massive stroke, and this was the last time she was conscious, Nick said. They have five other children whose ages range from 2 to 18 years old.
"We gave up all of Carrie's treatment to give Life a chance to survive", Nick previously told PEOPLE.
"She wanted this, but it's tough", he said.
"My wife loves the Lord and she loves her children more than anything", Nick DeKlyen said when Life was born. "We're pro-life. We believe that God gave us this baby", he continued.
- AUD USD Exchange Rate Fluctuates as Markets Await Fed Policy Meeting
- Nabors Industries Ltd. (NYSE:NBR) Downgraded to "Strong Sell" at ValuEngine
- Kindred Healthcare, Inc. (KND) Upgraded to "Hold" by Zacks Investment Research
- HTG Molecular Diagnostics, Inc. (HTGM) Under Analyst Spotlight
- South Korea to Send Humanitarian Aid to North, Keeping Diplomatic Channels Open
- West Ham vs Tottenham
- 'BoJack Horseman' Renewed for Season 5 at Netflix
- Gal Gadot in talks to join Bradley Cooper in drama Deeper
- Traders Secrets on Halliburton Company (HAL), Merck & Co., Inc. (MRK)
- Russian Federation and China urge 'peaceful' solution with North Korea