The credit data company added that hackers accessed Equifax Inc.'s systems through a consumer website application intended for use by USA consumers.
Healey's office began investigating the hack immediately after Equifax made an announcement on September 7.
An avalanche of federal lawsuits is expected to come thundering down on Equifax over the massive security breach that has put the private information of 143 million Americans in peril. Equifax said at the time that criminals had accessed details including names and Social Security numbers. "Credit reporting agencies have a fundamental responsibility to protect the personal information they're entrusted with".
"Through this interface, the criminal actors obtained access to files containing personal information of certain Canadian customers", reads another excerpt.Читайте также: Congress didn't keep promise of making me CM, says Narayan Rane
The company said a flaw in a tool created to build web applications may have been at fault for the breach, CNN reported, adding that that Equifax knew about the security flaw two months before the company admitted that hackers first exploited it to gain customer data. Canadians affected will also receive 12 months of free credit monitoring and identity theft protection. From there, the financial institutions will get in touch with their customers, Equifax said on its website. Once a year, you can get a credit report for free by visiting annualcreditreport.com. "Consumers, who are at absolutely no fault in this situation, should not have to pay anyone especially Equifax to either monitor or to freeze their credit", said Jackley.
He understands some people think it would be easier and safer to just freeze their credit, which means even if someone had your social security number hey could not t open anything in your name.
The FTC also provides a video to help people who feel they're been affected.
Also keep an eye on your credit card and bank account statements for unusual activity.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- United Kingdom involved in internal battle over Brexit position, says Guy Verhofstadt
- Alexis Sanchez looks distracted at Arsenal, says Gary Neville
- Raj Thackeray joins Facebook
- Journalist hacked to death while covering protest in India's northeast
- Wrestling legend Ric Flair had 20 percent chance of survival during hospitalization
- Kenneka Jenkins' Freezer Death Sparks Disturbing 'Irene Challenge' Videos On Twitter
- Chelsea and Everton monitoring Edinson Cavani' situation after Neymar bust-up
- S. Korea to Provide Humanitarian Aid for Myanmar Refugees
- South Korea's Moon says pushing to guarantee safety at Pyeongchang Olympics
- S&P, Dow flat ahead of Fed decision; Apple weighs on Nasdaq