"We didn't expect to be this competitive, but it all looks very good".
Daniel Ricciardo says he will consider leaving Red Bull if the energy drink owned team can't deliver him a title challenging vehicle in 2018.
"We know that we have to perform here - this should be our track - and we'll try to make the most of it".
As we saw earlier in the season, the FIA has selected the halo device to be implemented on all cars from 2018, and we saw three teams (both McLarens, Raikkonen's Ferrari, and Ricciardo's Red Bull) run the device in the opening stages of the session, during which all drivers were out to put in an installation lap within the first 10 minutes.
The venue's tight twists are expected to play to Ferrari and Red Bull's strengths but while the Milton Keynes-based squad shone on Friday, their Italian rivals were more inconspicuous.
"It's down to us to produce a good vehicle, be competitive and then, of course, why would the drivers want to be anywhere else?" said Horner.
It seems Mercedes have also turned their attentions to Red Bull, having previously installed closest Constructors' Championship challengers Ferrari as the pre-race favourites thanks to their high-downforce advantage.
But aside from the dominant Red Bulls, Hamilton was half-a-second clear of his fourth-placed Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas.
To wit: this is the engine supplier Red Bull tried to abandon once before, only to rebrand the Renault units as "Tag Heuers" when no other F1 engine supplier would work with them.
"I said Ferrari could be a problem and now it's Red Bull", Mercedes' Niki Lauda explained.
Renault's Nico Hulkenberg (1:42.448) was fifth.
However, finally tired of the constant criticism, and probably aware of Red Bull's potential switch to Honda in 2019, Renault is to pull the plug, ending its 11 year relationship with the Austrian outfit.
But he told the Sun newspaper that as he will be out of contract at the end of next year, his desire to win means he might consider leaving the Red Bull camp.
- Romanian Soldier Killed In Afghan Car-Bomb Attack
- China opposes foreign funding in Northeast India
- New Apple Watch fixes the worst thing about the old one
- Chester Bennington's Son: It Still Feels Like "He's On Vacation"
- Royals end Indians win streak at 22 games
- All Blacks onslaught overwhelms Springboks in Rugby Championship Test at Albany
- Earnings Approximations to Watch: Regions Financial Corporation (RF), Wells Fargo & Company
- Egypt court sentences 7 IS affiliates to death
- Standpoint Research Downgrades General Motors Company (GM) to Hold
- Olympics-Evidence found in Sochi drugs probe to charge athletes, International Olympic Committee says