Fireworks are expected when the division's two most impressive competitors go toe to toe in Las Vegas, with Golovkin putting his WBC, WBA and IBF titles on the line. They do it in their prime, and they both bring the kind of power that could make for a night that will be talked about in boxing for years to come.
"It is a fight for history", said Golovkin.
When it was all said and done, the fight became official with both men hitting 160 pounds on the dot.
Ladies and Gentlemen we have ourselves a fight! "I am very happy for all the love and support so I will give them 100 percent".
The Alvarez and Golovkin matchup comes less than a month after undefeated boxing great Floyd Mayweather (a former opponent of Alvarez, who handed him his only career loss) faced mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor, who had no boxing experience prior to the fight, also at the T-Mobile Arena. The first thing I thought about was if you remember Marvin Hagler and John "The Beast" Mugabi.
"[Canelo is] a world champion and I think this is the biggest fight for us and a tough fight". Triple G came to the U.S.in 2011 to pursue bigger fights, and has collected the major middleweight titles while trying to get Alvarez into the ring. He earned stoppages against both Dominic Wade and Kell Brook previous year before beating Daniel Jacobs by unanimous decision in March.
- 29 injured in London tube station explosion
- Attorney General can not withhold federal grants to sanctuary cities, judge rules
- Trump calls for travel ban expansion
- Richard Branson calls for 'Marshall Plan' to help Caribbean recover
- Man United not crying about Pogba as Mourinho awaits 'legend' Rooney
- FireEye, Inc. (FEYE) Reaches New 52-Week High
- House Republicans Pass Wide-Reaching Anti-Immigrant Bill, With DACA Negotiations Ongoing
- All the Details for This Sunday's 69th Primetime Emmy Awards
- Apache Corporation (NYSE:APA) Stock Closed Lower Than Its 50 Day Average
- Manchester City are ready to be a big team - Pep Guardiola