Before rejoining his boyhood club Everton in the summer transfer window, Rooney became United's all-time leading goalscorer, and Lingard has spoken highly of the 31-year-old's influence on his progress.
He had been restricted to just 15 Premier League starts in his final campaign, during which he broke the club's goal scoring record.
Paul Merson is confident Manchester United will extend their unbeaten run against Everton at Old Trafford on Sunday.
"I think Rom's a really nice guy, he's got his feet on the ground and he doesn't let anything faze him".
He said: "Andy Cole, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Dwight Yorke and, obviously more recently, Wayne Rooney". He is still a great player, a great personality, and I am lucky I have played with him.
"You've seen previous year what he's capable of and what he did for Everton", Lingard said of Lukaku.
While Rooney headed to Goodison Park in the summer, Romelu Lukaku moved the other way in a £75 million deal.
However, four games into the Premier League season and Everton have the fourth worst goal difference having only scored two goals and conceded six - including three during their toothless display against Tottenham last week.
"That's what the fans want, it's what we all want".
"We have to be aware that we have to give our best every time in every game to stay there - that is up to us".
Speaking to United's official site after yet another strike in his club's 3-0 Champions League win over FC Basel on Tuesday, Lukaku revealed the list of striking legends that he looks up to for inspiration to keep racking up the goals.
"When you are injured it is always frustrating". You learn every day from him.
- Tables are turned as Arsenal face Chelsea
- Nokia 2 Press Renders Leaked
- Corea del Norte lanza otro misil hacia Japón
- Trump Praises Media During Florida Visit
- President Trump to Visit Irma-Battered Florida Thursday
- British tourist killed by crocodile near Arugam Bay
- Four finish a priority: Wenger
- Suzuki-Toshiba to set up lithium-ion battery plant in Gujarat
- Facebook is testing a snooze feature that temporarily mutes your friends
- Police investigating reported explosion on London Tube train