She drove through the night, headed for Virginia, making only a few stops, one being at a Circle K in Rocky Mount, where she played the $250,000 Diamond Dazzler - a scratch-off lottery ticket.
Her husband is now deployed and is scheduled to come home in December.
While she and her daughters stretched, she purchased two $5 scratch-off tickets.
The Daily Mail reports Hatfield was not even planning to leave, but her husband, now stationed in Hawaii with the U.S. Navy, urged her to evacuate. One of the tickets was a $10,000 victor.
"I didn't believe it at first", she said Thursday. Hatfield - who is from Ocoee, Florida - said when she realized she won, she started screaming and felt very happy. With the state's lottery offices closed for the weekend, Hatfield drove to her destination in Virginia with her winning ticket close in hand. "I kept it in my wallet right next to me and checked it on every minute". MORE: Officer picks up American flag from highway after IrmaHatfield and her daughters made a detour to a lottery office in Greenville, North Carolina, Tuesday on their way home to Florida. The lucky victor is planning to use the money to redecorate her family's home, which was only lightly damaged by the hurricane. "It just wound up so flawless".
According to the Daily Mail, she accepted a check of $6,951, which is the lotto money after taxes are withheld.
As far as her home, ABC News says Hatfield's house sustained only minor damage.
- Free Week 2 NFL Predictions: Dallas at Denver Predictions, Picks & Odds 09/17/17
- Mexicans' positive view of the USA collapses in Trump era
- NYC mayor to building owners: get greener
- A week after Irma, Caribbean devastation is laid bare
- Wal (WMT) Shares Rose While Capital Fund Management Sa Has Lowered Stake
- EOG Resources, Stake Acquired By Commerce Bank
- South London soul singer Sampha wins 2017 Mercury Prize
- Roswell teen's death on LSU campus 'possible hazing incident'
- France not overconfident, insists Pouille
- Modern Family star Ariel Winter: 'Mum sexualised me as a child'