Man United dominated the first half, with Marcus Rashford going close on several occasions, but it was Stoke's Jean-Eric Choupo-Moting who broke the deadlock, only for the teenager - somewhat inadvertently - to equalise on the cusp of half time.
Close-season signing Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting is working hard to be fit to face United after returning from global duty with Cameroon nursing a slight hamstring injury.
Focusing on the main man, it's hard to look beyond Romelu Lukaku, who has scored three goals in three Premier League outings for United following his big money arrival.
The worldwide break also gave left-back Luke Shaw and winger Ashley Young the chance to build up fitness as they get closer to returning from injuries suffered late last season.
Coming off of a three-match winning streak, the global break was probably not what the Manchester United players wanted to see.
Choupo-Moting brace holds Manchester United at Stoke
"I'm not satisfied with a point because we were the team closer to winning", he told BT Sport. With how good they have looked, Stoke would surely be happy to earn a point against them. "They defended well, they counterattacked and in set pieces they are powerful". "We didn't allow them as much space and everything I asked the guys to do, they fulfilled".
As in the 1-0 victory over Arsenal in Stoke's previous home league outing, Hughes's side showed an attractive fluency.
Stoke's equaliser came just moments after David de Gea brilliantly denied fellow Spaniard Jese Rodriguez, with Phil Jones culpable for failing to track Choupo-Moting on the resultant corner. "Maybe that's why he didn't want to shake my hand".
"In fairness I have my history with handshakes. Maybe that was what upset him". The top managers don't like it when they get the bad results.
"I have to say it is a result I accept though. And your question is not correct, I am sorry".
- Facebook to open AI lab in Montreal headed by McGill professor
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola admits Brahim Diaz could make move
- Wenger reveals key man in Arsenal turnaround
- Listen, old men really do have big ears
- Kenneka Jenkins Conspiracy Theories: Everything That Twitter Has Claimed So Far
- Colorado's ultra-low unemployment rate didn't budge in August
- Destiny 2 Xur location and items, September 15-19
- Singtel offers 'unlimited' mobile plans with a catch
- Fergie and Josh Duhamel call it quits after eight years of marriage
- Billy Joe Saunders' son punches opponent Willie Monroe Jr at weigh