"There are options everywhere", he said.
He added: "Whatever I do next year is because I want to win". Renault's signing of Carlos Sainz triggered news that Toro Rosso and McLaren will swap engine suppliers in 2018, the one going to Honda, the other to Renault. "I don't want to be fighting for the top 10 or the top 15", said the Spaniard during a press conference at the Marina Bay street circuit on Thursday (Sep 14). With Renault set to sign Carlos Sainz to its second seat for 2018 that would appear to be Alonso's only other option on the 2018 grid, but the team's struggles this year hardly raise hopes that a race-winning vehicle - the one thing Alonso craves in 2018 - will roll out of the Grove factory ahead of winter testing next season.
"There are many options out there but F1 is my first and only priority".
Alonso, like Chris Amon in a previous era, has traditionally made poor decisions when changing teams - even if, at the time, there seemed good reasons for them. "I think not only we expect a challenge, but we want to see the best drivers in the best teams up there and it's been a shame not to have McLaren where they historically have been". I want to stay loyal at least to that, and not make any decisions without them making first their decision. On top of that, the McLarens of Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne have already gone through more than ten power unit failures within the course of the 2017 season.
- Falling consumer demand hits John Lewis
- Wholesale price inflation accelerates to four-month high in August
- Simple Moving Averages under Review - Antero Resources Corporation (NYSE:AR)
- Analysts Anticipate Eli Lilly and Company (LLY) to Announce $1.03 EPS
- Suit: Starbucks 'Extra Hot' Tea Scalded Woman, Killed Dog
- Chakmas, Hajongs to get limited citizenship
- Paris to host 2024 Olympics, 100 years since its last Games
- Delhi: Cab driver arrested for allegedly raping woman near Red Fort
- Daniel Dae Kim In Talks To Join 'Hellboy' Reboot After Whitewashing Controversy
- Windows Fall Creators Update will shake up privacy settings