Iran has signed a series of deals and memorandums of understanding with Damascus to fix Syria's electrical-power infrastructure, state media report, giving the Islamic republic a potential foothold in war-torn Syria's eventual rebuilding process.
"The Syrian government.is working relentlessly to restore the power system", SANA quoted Syrian Electricity Minister Mohammad Zuhair Kharboutli as saying.
"The preparations for putting into practice some of formerly signed agreements were made in the past and some others are related to the past", said the Iranian official recounting that the total sum of the contracts will hit more than some hundred million Euros.
Agreement points to the role Tehran is expected to play in the reconstruction of war-torn Syria.
"The aim of our participation in this round is to strengthen the de-escalation zones in Syria, in Eastern Ghouta, the south, and north of Homs, and to discuss many violations that took place since the ceasefire agreement was signed in Ankara at the end of the previous year", al-Aridi told AFP. Electricity generation dropped by more than half from 2010 to 2014, according to the latest figures available from the OECD's International Energy Agency monitoring group.
"Iran's activities in Syria and unquestioning support for the Assad regime have perpetuated the conflict and increased the suffering of ordinary Syrians", the State Department said in a statement.
Iranian companies will also rehabilitate a 90-megawatt power station in Dayr al-Zawr province, and another in the Homs province.
"We will stand by the Syrian people to rebuild this country".
Iran has already assured Syria to expand its cooperation to construct water and sewerage facilities in the Arab country.
Assad's government awarded a concession to Iran to operate a new cellular network for Syria in January.
Iranian firms are already involved in a series of electricity generation projects worth 660 million US dollars in Syria, according to Iran's Energy Ministry.
- Floyd Mayweather does first tv interview since Conor McGregor fight
- Lady Gaga Says Her Success Led To Her Breakup With Taylor Kinney
- UCL: Conte Savours 'Lots Of Goodies' In Chelsea's Win Vs Qarabag
- Amazon execs want second headquarters in Boston, says report
- Target hiring thousands for holiday season
- Recent disasters hurry World of Warcraft to release this year's charity pet
- French President Macron heads to Caribbean island flattened by Irma
- Will Manchester United and Liverpool games be next?
- What Obama Is Doing to Get Young People Engaged in Their Communities
- 'Real are short a striker': Zidane regrets Chelsea star's departure