Francis Timmons, a local councillor, called last night's shooting a "horrendous murder".
It is believed the gunman fired up to five shots at Nugent, who was later pronounced dead at the scene.
The section of Wheatfield Avenue where the shooting happened remains sealed off pending a forensic examination.
Nugent had been arrested earlier this year on his way to carry out a hit.
It has described it as a gangland attack, but says it is not thought to be connected to the ongoing Hutch-Kinahan criminal feud.
The incident at Wheatfield Avenue was reported to Gardaí at 9.40pm.
"We're not sure if those people were on foot or in a vehicle between 9pm and 9.40pm".
He said a number of people were in the area at the time of the shooting, and appealed for anyone with information to come forward.
Gardaí say that a auto sped off from the area on to Collinstown Road following the shooting, but are unsure where the vehicle went from there. "The direction of that vehicle is unknown to us at this stage, but it is very important in our investigation", Supt Mann said. They are also working off a theory that the getaway vehicle was an older, dark BMW saloon. The direction of that vehicle is unknown to us this stage. "We really are appealing to the public, taxi men, delivery men or people who may have been out walking their dogs or whatever".
- Country singer Kenny Chesney's Virgin Islands' home destroyed by Irma
- Apple's watchOS 4 due out September 19th with better heart rate monitoring
- Hurricane Irma's effects possible in Rock Hill area early next week
- Belgian mayor is found dead in cemetery 'with his throat slit open'
- South Korean top diplomat vows to respond to Pyongyang provocations
- Bell Pottinger collapses after South African scandal
- Chicago Officer Shoots, Kills 19-Year-Old After Getting Hit By Car
- Irma weakens but 6.2 mn without power in Florida
- More aid on way for Irma-battered islands; death toll grows
- Apple Unveils Watch With Cellular Capabilities