But this storm, while wounded, is still risky. Wind gusts up to 60 miles per hour with tropical storm-force winds could whip through starting Monday morning and into Tuesday, forecasters said.
Outage Alerts - Subscribe to the free Georgia Power Outage Alert service to receive personalized notifications and updates via text message.
Tornadoes could also spin up in coastal areas from northeast Georgia to southeast SC where a tornado watch was in effect.
To help its employees focus on safely restoring power for customers and relieve concerns about their own families, Georgia Power has also activated its Family Services volunteers, who are preparing to deploy to areas impacted by Hurricane Irma in anticipation of employee assistance requests.
Water levels will continue to be elevated above normally dry land along parts of the Gulf and Atlantic coasts from central Florida to coastal SC.
Storm surge forecasts for water level above normally dry ground if maximum surge coincides with high tide.
Cooper also echoed today's Nation Weather Service warnings of severe rip currents and unsafe surf along the southeastern coast, including Brunswick, New Hanover and Pender counties.
A car sits in a flooded parking lot outside the Germain Arena in Estero Florida
Rainfall forecast through Thursday from the National Weather Service.
The National Weather Service said heavy rain and strong winds could cause flash flooding in the mountains.
Flood warnings covered much of eastern Georgia and extreme northeast Florida Monday morning.
The storm threatens to wreak havoc in Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee has it heads north. President Trump spoke to the governors in the states from the Camp David presidential retreat.
The Virginia Department of Emergency Management, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Virginia National Guard, the Virginia State Police, and other state agencies have already begun preparations for the impacts of Hurricane Irma. Up to 8 inches of rain is expected locally. After Monday morning, there won't be another night with crisp lows in the 50s for at least a week.
Irma made two landfalls on Sunday: Over the Florida Keys and one on Marco Island, Fla.
- Bob Dylan & His Band Headed To Xcel This October
- Parents sue because child wears dress to school
- Myanmar accused of laying mines, causing Rohingya injuries
- National Football League files appeal of Ezekiel Elliott injunction
- Miami Beach mayor calls Irma 'a nuclear hurricane'
- SSC CGL 2017 Tier I exam answer keys released; Download from here
- Myanmar situation 'textbook example of ethnic cleansing', says UN
- Around 30 people injured in Swiss train collision
- Lee County institutes curfew
- North Korea celebrates its largest nuclear blast with larger nuclear blast