"But we really see the best of the conditions in early September, when the combination of ocean temperatures that have been baked by the long summer sun and the lack of wind shear that we commonly find in the late spring and early autumn leads to the greatest number of storms".
A hurricane watch has been posted for Antigua and Barbuda, parts of which sustained catastrophic damage from Irma.
"The main threat to the United States will be Irma this week and this weekend", Williams said. Tropical Storm watches are in place for Anguilla, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis.
It was moving west-southwest at 11 kilometers per hour, and was projected to pour 10 to 15 inches of rain over northern Veracruz, eastern Hidalgo and Puebla. Katia is now a Category 1 storm that's also expected to gain strength in the coming days.
The storms closest point of approach within the next 72 hours is expected to be 836 nautical miles south-southeast at 6pm on Saturday.
The National Hurricane Center announced Wednesday morning that a new tropical storm, named Katia, has formed in the Gulf of Mexico.
This is the first time in seven years that three hurricanes have spun in the Atlantic Basin at the same time, according to Colorado State University meteorologist Phil Klotzbach.
"The ultimate track of Jose is uncertain, but if it recurves over the Atlantic it could impact our European pattern in around 10 days time". Instead, it's expected to curve up into the open Atlantic and become a major hurricane - Category 3 or more - with winds up to 115 miles per hour.
- Ragini MMS gets a digital makeover; check out the steamy hot poster
- Taapsee Pannu & Diljit Dosanjh team up for a sports biopic!
- The GAM Holding AG Increases Stake in Vornado Realty Trust (VNO)
- Rohingya crisis: United Nations aid call as '290000 flee' Myanmar
- Primark Lifts ABF's Full Year Guidance
- It has been 16 years since 9/11
- American Airlines Cancels Flights From Miami Ahead of Hurricane Irma
- European Union countries aim to raise tech firms' taxes by targeting revenue
- Analyst Opinion Summary: Macy's, Inc. (M), Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. (VRX)
- Putin thinks North Korea crisis will not go nuclear, diplomacy to prevail