"If you look out your window right now, we have tropical storm wind gusts". It continues to be a weather threat to the southeast, including some possible effects here in SC. Wind gusts could reach 40 miles per hour, in part because of a high pressure system that's been responsible for recent cooler weather. Continued slow weakening is expected, and Irma is likely to become a tropical depression on Tuesday.
As Irma has fallen apart, its wind field has expanded, Okulski said.
SC is already feeling tropical force winds and gusts.
BOTTOM LINE: What About South Carolina?
Irma may have weakened to a tropical storm, but state forecasters warn it's no time for South Carolinians to let their guard down.
The Midlands will continue to get gusty winds, flash flooding, and most importantly, a risk of severe storms, including tornadoes.
"Don't be fooled", said Rich Okulski, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Columbia. This watch includes includes Aiken, Calhoun, Lexington, Newberry, Orangeburg, Richland and Saluda counties.
The watch is in effect from Monday morning to Monday night.
The Cayce, South Carolina-based organization was scheduled to hold its conference on September 12-14, but has chose to reschedule the conference to December 5-7 due to the approaching storm, according to a spokeswoman. "But we may see home heavy rain and tornadoes as well".
It's unclear when power will return.
Note: This story was updated at 9:15 a.m. Monday with the most recent power outage information.
- Bob Dylan & His Band Headed To Xcel This October
- TRACKING IRMA: Irma gradually weakening while moving over northern FL
- China to strike down Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies
- Hurricane Irma makes second landfall, leaves path of destruction
- Angelina Jolie Says Directing Other People Reveals "Their Greatness"
- Pour Anny Duperey, le Levothyrox est un "scandale honteux"
- Tropical Storm Irma floods cities in northern Florida
- Google challenges record European antitrust fine in court
- Tesla puts charging stations in more locations, including Boston
- Man Arrested After Nearly Running Over Protesters in Washington