In an updated forecast discussion issued at 3:38 a.m. Friday, meteorologists said the remnants of Irma should be deflected to our southwest and west Tuesday into Wednesday of next week.
While Hurricane Irma has devastated the Caribbean and forecasters are indicating Florida is the storm's next stop, Virginia's forecast is looking better.
Although state-of-the-art satellites do continuously monitor that bigger weather picture, they measure things such as wind and water vapor indirectly, based on the wavelengths of light they detect, so they are not as accurate as direct measurements, says Sim Aberson of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Hurricane Research Division.
Most models now show Irma tracking along Florida's east coast, but it's still possible Irma could track along the western coast of Florida, which would likely bring more severe weather to Athens when it reaches this area, Knox said.
Now with advanced technology the National Weather Service says they are staying ahead of the storm keeping people out of harm's way.
Here is the latest map for Irma's predicted path from the National Hurricane Center.
The state of emergency helps the commonwealth prepare for potential in-state emergencies, as well as help other surrounding states, the release said.
Irma was downgraded to a Category 4 hurricane on Friday morning, but that's still a risky storm capable of causing widespread and severe damage.
But it still could pack enough wind and rain to drench Athens, with possible flooding and gusts up to 40 miles per hour. Slow-moving Harvey dumped more than 50 inches of rain on some parts of Texas. "The effects of this aren't really going to be that bad for eastern Virginia".
Category 5 storms have sustained winds - at least a minute - of 252 km/h or higher.
- EU's Barnier Says UK's Brexit Position on Ireland Is Wrong
- US Open 2017: Martina Hingis & Jamie Murray win mixed doubles
- Futurama will live again in the form of a single podcast episode
- CBI registers corruption case against Jayanthi Natarajan, searches her home
- Bears lock up DE Hicks with $30M deal
- Barcelona head coach Ernesto Valverde backs Ousmane Dembele to get better
- Air Force Pilot Killed In Crash At Nevada Test And Training Range
- Spyder Audio Launch on 9th September @ 6 PM
- Killer Irma Turns Toward Florida's West Coast After Thrashing Cuba
- Troy Gentry Helicopter Crash Questions Over Pilot's Decision to Hover