Those who know me play along, and in the end it goes well.
Payet told French magazine So Foot: "My managers understood that: when I sulk, they talk to me".
West Ham would end the 2016-17 campaign in 11th place after Payet left and now sit bottom of the league - signs which Payet says would have derailed his chances at playing for France had he remained in England.
Edimilson Fernandes, who played in all three of the Hammers' matches so far, hurt his ankle while playing for Switzerland's Under-21s, while Andre Ayew suffered a thigh injury playing for his native Ghana.
"It's a way for me to be heard".
It's early days, but the pressire on Premier League managers to get results is constant and propping up the table inevitably leads to speculation about the future. "I had a choice to make".
Payet admits that Hammers boss Slavan Bilic found that out the hard way during his time in London.
Mancini, who left the Premier League in 2013, lifted the Premier League title in 2012 with Manchester City, and while he is now managing Zenit St Petersburg, he has been linked with a return to England with underperforming West Ham. We spoke every day.
"He managed me like a father", added Payet. You saw that straight away in how quickly I adapted. He quickly understood how I worked. "He's from Croatia... he can shout, but he's good at man-management".
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in New Delhi after two-nation tour
- Gold soars, North Korea tensions rise: Aus shares to open higher
- SpaceX to launch top-secret military vehicle
- US not 'putting up with' N. Korea actions
- Alexis Sanchez: I am exhausted of criticism
- Rockstar Stepping into VR with LA Noire: The VR Case Files
- China military holds drills in waters near Korean Peninsula
- Newell Brands Cuts 2017 Normalized EPS View
- School bans skirts: 'We chose to have the same uniform for everybody'
- Russia's Putin: Trump administration has shown desire to defuse N.Korea tensions